Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM

Default Re: A Modest Proposal, to the Pro Tools Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Today's Cell-Phones ARE computers. And they are WAY more powerful than the Computers on which PT ran when it was released !
Today's mobile apps also require more computing horsepower than PT did when it was first released.

On the other hand, a lot can be done with a mobile platform if you build for it specifically. Just look at Auria; 24 bit 96 kHz tracking and mixing, 48 tracks total and 24 recording simultaneously.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:05 AM

I feel we should keep offering support on the DUC, so user's DON'T have to sign up for a support plan. Many will be locking their systems at 11 or 12 and I feel we should be here to help them. Otherwise we are encouraging users to buy into Avid's plan. I cannot be a part of that in good conscience.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Try running Protools, or burning a CD, or even just typing a document on a cell phone...
That is merely because the apps made for phones are not made like that. But if one wanted, it would be absolutely NO problem to do with the horsepower that a smart phone like the iPhone6 has... No problem at all.
Quote:
They may be computers in the literal sense that they crunch data with digital 1s and 0s, but they do not process data in the same way.
LOL

Quote:
Even trying to type a document or spread sheet on a tablet is an irritating and frustrating experience.
Get yourself an external keyboard.

Quote:
Real computers will remain the primary tool of people that actually work for a living in many, many different fields for at least the next 100 years.
They are real computers. Whether your like it or not. You have got to get your head around that ;-)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
I cannot be a part of that in good conscience.

A conscientious objector? $^)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Since Avid is now offering support plans, I would like to offer this modest proposal to the Community of Protools Users:

That we should no longer offer support or technical advise for Protools on this, or any other web forum. Instead, we should encourage Protools Users to buy a support plan and contact Avid with their troubleshooting requests.

Since Avid is banking the income they get from support plans, they should also have to expend the financial and man power resources to deal with those issues themselves and not have them offered for free by the Community.

So, from here on out, any question about a troubleshooting issue or system incompatibility, or possible bugs should only be answered by directing that person to use their Avid Support Plan, or to buy an Avid Support Plan.
And one day you will need some help, but since all of the morons who've followed your advise will have the phone lines blocked, you will be so screwed...and I won't be able to do anything except laugh for about a week.

And you might want to do a little careful reading of some of the other posts on here...at least a few of the folks at Avid appear to be smarter than you are because the service plan states they can cut off your phone privileges if you abuse them...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Okay, since this thread started with what is (to me) obviously a joke, but people are taking it seriously, let me throw this out there.

A Modest Proposal was a satirical essay in which the author suggested that poor Irish families could better their ecomonic situation by selling their children... To rich people, as food. I do see the humor in this overblown metaphor that Justice is hinting at... The impoverished countrymen (Pro Tools users) sell their children (new users asking forum questions) to the rich (Avid) for food (money).

But, as happened with the original essay at the time, not everyone recognizes the satire. Kudos to Justice for the attempt, but I think this audience is a bit too wrapped up to make it out.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:36 PM

Default A Modest Proposal, to the Pro Tools Community

Besides all that ^^

I had at one time assumed they would charge a premium for access to the DUC, and that would be part of the support plan, as a added benefit.

No support plan, then off to GS or FB for you

I hope not but who knows
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Okay, since this thread started with what is (to me) obviously a joke, but people are taking it seriously, let me throw this out there.

A Modest Proposal was a satirical essay in which the author suggested that poor Irish families could better their ecomonic situation by selling their children... To rich people, as food. I do see the humor in this overblown metaphor that Justice is hinting at... The impoverished countrymen (Pro Tools users) sell their children (new users asking forum questions) to the rich (Avid) for food (money).

But, as happened with the original essay at the time, not everyone recognizes the satire. Kudos to Justice for the attempt, but I think this audience is a bit too wrapped up to make it out.
Uuhhh...Yeah...that's the ticket!

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-20-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Uuhhh...Yeah...that's the ticket!
You mean to tell me you didn't carefully choose a metaphor? It must have been a mistake that you capitalized "A Modest Proposal" in the title!

Come on, now...
Old 02-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
You mean to tell me you didn't carefully choose a metaphor? It must have been a mistake that you capitalized "A Modest Proposal" in the title!

Come on, now...
Perhaps...Really though, I just figured that Avid needed a swift kick in john-son...

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One