Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2003, 10:13 PM

Default Newer 001 user with system questions...

I am sure that this sort of question has been asked all too often, so I apologize in advance.

Several months ago, I aquired a used 001 with the older software version of 5.0.1 (for a nice price, I might add).
Since I was more or less going for a test drive, I ran the 001 on my older PC. Performance-wise, it was stable enough, and seemed to run pretty effeiciently. So, I decided I would keep the 001, but if I am going to do any serious work with it, I will need to do some upgrading. I want to know if my though process is logical.

Now, a couple of my friends, some long-time Mac users, others studio engineers who have worked with various PT systems, including 001s, have suggested I go with a Mac. This seemed a reasonable proposition, considering the support for the Mac. However, after browsing through the information on this site, I see that PCs can be a very vaible option, and while I do like Macs, it might not be fiscally sound to go with one.

Considering how much software I already have running on PC, as well as considering other purchases I need to make, and finally factoring in college tuition, making the move to Mac would dent the old reserves. If PCs are now stable enough, and perhaps more powerful at certain price points, I think that might be the way I have to go. I can't rule out Macs at this point, though, as there are other considerations besides price. Before I proceed, I think I should list some of my goals.

Essentially, I would wish to use my 001 for home-studio applications. I do use a lot of layering, so the ability to mix many tracks simultaneously, while running appropriate plug-ins, would be crucial. While I would like the ability to use powerful plug-ins, I don't really need a huge library of exotic effects, and such; I don't always like a sound that is too processed, and I am not producing commercial albums. I see that Mac users enjoy a larger selection, but I don't know that I need that many choices. Of course, I don't want to kick myself later if support is as limited as some claim as far as good plug-ins for PC go.
As far as price goes, I would be willing to pay up to 1200 dollars (US). I don't neccessarily need all of the common peripherals either.

Anyhow, let's assume that I went with the PC route. It appears as though many here have been recommending XP optimized AMD-based systems. There are still those that prefer their Intel systems, though. Rather than aks "which is better," let me ask what disadvantages I might face from one or the other.

At this point I should summarize.
Because of the what I perceive to be a better price to performance ratio (according to reports I have read here), I am greatly considering sticking with PC. Since reports also list them as much more stable, and my experiences with PTLE on PC systems has been favorable, I am further leaning toward PC. More plug-ins for Macs would be nice, but I probably would neither need, nor desire to pay for the assortment provided. XP optimized AMDs seem to be quite popular, and may exhibit better performance for the price.

So, could I assume that running XP on an optimized AMD machine would be a safe, and reasonably priced option? Again, please let me know what disadvantages I might encounter, and any other suggestions you may have. Any compelling arguments you have in any direction are welcome. I just want to make sure that I get the best system I can for my needs, and within the mentioned price limits. If you need any clarification, let me know

Again, sorry for what is probably a trite question, and also for the length and clutter. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Ron
Old 02-05-2003, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Newer 001 user with system questions...

Your story sounds hauntingly familiar to mine. While I have not actually purchased my system yet, I have been thoroughly convinced to go with the PC (specifically the "Allen" system). And believe you me, before I started my research, I too was told by everyone to just get the Mac because "All the big studios use Mac's" And, like you, for budget reasons, I am choosing the PC.

Also, It have found some deals on late model used Mac's that I could get for close to the cost of a brand new custom built PC, and STILL I am going with PC. By all accounts, from what I have been able to gather, the PC's are not only better for the money, they are just performing outright better than the Mac's. I'm using the money saved for other studio related stuff, like better monitors, outboard mic pre's, and microphones.

As for the perceived lack of plugins available on PC... look at the plug-in finder page on this site. You can link to it from the Digi001 product page. According to that chart, there are LOTS of great plugins available now on PC, apparently with plenty more on the way. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.