Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2023, 05:05 PM

Default DSP plugins not working on master fader

Last week I got my M2 Mac Studio and am trying to work through the growing pains of Rosetta and more than half my plugins not being Apple Silicon compatible yet.

I seem to have come across a bug - not sure if its Carbon specific but every time I put a plugin on a Master Fader in DSP Mode it's as if it's bypassed or the plugin doesn't exist. Audio passes through as if there was nothing there.
So basically if I want to use any plugins on the Master Fader I can't be in DSP mode.

Anyone else run into this issue on any system?

I'm running:
Mac Studio M2 Max
Ventura 13.4.1
Pro Tools 2023.6
Old 07-13-2023, 02:42 AM

Default Re: DSP plugins not working on master fader

Just tried here and the (stereo) Master fader will happily go in and out of DSP mode, either automatically (because other tracks are put into DSP mode) or because I press the button. Non DSP plugs on the Master get automatically bypassed in both scenarios.

I'm running exclusively in AS mode (not Rosetta) but I can't see any reason why it would be different.

I'm assuming you haven't accidentally put the Master track into DSP safe mode? - if you have, the Lightning Bolt will be grey with a line through it.

I'm using an M1 Max MBP on MacOS 12.6.7 with PTU 2023.6

Dominic
Old 07-13-2023, 03:41 AM

Is the hybrid engine enabled?
Old 07-13-2023, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Is the hybrid engine enabled?
You don't get this choice with Carbon. The Hybrid engine is the only way it works.

Dominic
Old 07-13-2023, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
You don't get this choice with Carbon. The Hybrid engine is the only way it works.

Dominic
Ahhh, thanks for that info. I was not aware of that little tidbit unlike HDX.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymixer View Post

I seem to have come across a bug - not sure if its Carbon specific but every time I put a plugin on a Master Fader in DSP Mode it's as if it's bypassed or the plugin doesn't exist. Audio passes through as if there was nothing there.
So basically if I want to use any plugins on the Master Fader I can't be in DSP mode.
Having reviewed your post more carefully, I tried inserting a nice big delay on the Master fader and clicking in and out of DSP mode. It definitely works as it should. Also, I can add non-DSP plugs (when the channel is not actively running DSP mode) and when I change the Master to DSP mode, the non-DSP plugs are automtically bypassed, and the DSP ones work as intended.

EDIT: I have now tried in Rosetta mode too, and it doesn't make any difference. Still works as expected.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 07-14-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2023, 03:25 PM

I haven't been able to get it to work no matter what plugin I put on or what I do so I'm going to open a ticket with Avid.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I haven't been able to get it to work no matter what plugin I put on or what I do so I'm going to open a ticket with Avid.
Just tested on my system below and it works just fine =so it is not a Carbon issue per se

Backing up have you

Have you tried putting the Master Fader into DSP mode with no plugin's on it ?

If that works ( i.e. you get the bright green on lighting button and not the dark green DSP safe mode or the grey none DSP lighting button ) ?

So if that works and you then load a DSP compatible plugin it should stay in DSP Mode (bright green) and it should work (note most of the PT bundled plugins except VI's are DSP compatible) so just try something like EQ III

And I assume you know that if a track is in DSP mode and you click the insert button it will state "DSP plugins"

So if you follow the above ( Master Fader with no plug into DSP and then load a DSP compatible plug ) and it still does not work,, than you might try trashing PT preferences or deleting PT and reinstalling it

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 07-15-2023, 10:37 AM

I've narrowed it down to it happening on master faders that are bussing to an audio track. This is how I print stems. It happens in every session I open regardless of plugin but not on a Master Fader feeding an output. I have trashed prefs, etc. no change. The track of course has to be in input to hear what is happening.
Old 07-16-2023, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately it is unclear what you mean by "no matter what plugin" such ambiguous terminology is the enemy of clear communication for diagnostic purposes
Now while obviously you know what you mean, but as stated it is unclear to the rest of us.

Because it definitely not a matter of "no matter what plugin I put on"
It is very definitely a matter of specifically which format plugin you are actually talking about (i.e whether it is a Native only, or a Native and DSP compatible plug in, which you have not indicated )
Because if it is a Native only plugin, then it will definitely be bypassed if the track is in DSP mode and that is not " a bug" it is a feature

If it is a DSP compatible plug in and the Master is in DSP mode AND NOT DSP Safe mode dark green (which was asked but you still have not answered) then that possibly could be an issue ....
EXCEPT I have not tried so do not know if by routing the Master Fader to an audio track as opposed to the main outs, that somehow changes the DSP function I am not currently at my studio so will experiment later tonight

The other thing not clear to me (understanding I do not make stems ) is---- if you are printing to an audio track (to use as a stem to export) why would matter if the Master Fader is in DSP mode or not ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 07-16-2023 at 01:21 PM.