Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2023, 09:54 AM

Default 2023.12 problems with default paths and OneDrive

Because of the problems with OneDrive and files installed by PT with illegal characters (a separate thread), I changed OneDrive settings to not sync the Documents folder, so /Users/hedges/Documents is now an unsynced folder on disk.

In this case, starting Pro Tools still installed some files to /Users/hedges/OneDrive/Documents/Sketches and .../Track Presets. Nothing else. It installed all the rest of its files to "/Users/hedges/Documents/Pro Tools".

I changed PT Operation settings to use an unsynced folder outside documents for all files and cache, copied the available directories from Documents to the new folder, then deleted "/Users/hedges/OneDrive/Documents/Pro Tools" and "/Users/hedges/Documents/Pro Tools".

In this case, starting Pro Tools still created the following empty directories:

Code:
/Users/hedges/Documents/Pro Tools
/Users/hedges/Documents/Pro Tools/Sketches
/Users/hedges/Documents/Pro Tools/Pro Tools Presets
/Users/hedges/Documents/Pro Tools/Pro Tools Presets/Track Data to Recall
/Users/hedges/Documents/Pro Tools/Track Presets
/Users/hedges/OneDrive/Documents/Pro Tools
/Users/hedges/OneDrive/Documents/Pro Tools/Sketches
... and in the outside unsynced non-Documents folder, "Pro Tools Presets/Track Data to Recall" and "Track Presets" were created. The latter was populated with files under subdirectories. However, the "Sketches" folder was not created in the outside folder, and was not populated.

Something seems a bit wonky in the logic that creates and populates standard directories when Pro Tools starts up.

PT 2023.12, MacOS Sonoma 14.2, OneDrive 23.246.1127.0002 (Standalone).
Old 12-27-2023, 02:28 PM

Default Re: 2023.12 problems with default paths and OneDrive

Probably not good to use OneDrive with a PBA (Purpose Built Appliance). I try to dedicate my Mac soley for Pro Tools and not have anything that can cause overhead, confusion and otherwise issues.

Onedrive wreaks all kinds of havoc on my work windows laptop. I was forced to do a project in OneDrive so my team could collaborate. Even if they didn't touch the file, things got deleted, moved, changed etc.. One day I lost 4 hours of work on a file that was due to present to a very large client within hours of the meeting. Luckily I knew all the changes that had to be made and zipped through them.

Problem with OneDrive is, it's not a file and sync with versioning. MS set it up so the objects that live on Onedrive, LIVE on Onedrive, not your hard drive. What's worse is the the latency when working in these files not to mention, they are not versioned. If it's deleted, or changed, it's gone for good!

I wouldn't even think about having collaboration, sync, file-n-sync stuff on my PBA for Pro Tools. I'd remove that from your Pro Tools box and I bet all your problems will go away.

If I ever need to share something with someone else, I have a Synology NAS where I can just copy files (word, etc...) up too, then access from my windows laptops.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here: