How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 + Macbook Pro HD Retina 2.6 Ghz + Edirol UA 25

Hi all,

I searched all sorts of forums for four problems that always occur when using Pro Tools 10.

I have a Macbook Pro Retina, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 7 processors, Memory 16 GB, 1600 MHz, DDR3, running on OS X 10.8.2. It's connected to my Edirol UA-25 interface for which I have the latest drivers.

1) whenever I start Pro Tools 10 I always get this message: "Some bus paths were made inactive because their mapped output paths are unavailable. Please visit the I/O Setup dialog for more information." If I click OK then there's no apparent harm and I can work with the program, but it's just annoying and I'm guessing this might as easily be the root to some of my other problems. The I/O Setup dialog doesn't tell me anything other than that I'm using my two Edirol inputs. Does anyone have any idea why this is and what might be set up wrong?

2) I have a USB 3.0 port and I know there are issues between USB 3.0 ports and recording software. According to the avid forums an easy workaround is connecting a USB 2.0 hub, which I did (I connected my Lacie 500GB as well as my Edirol interface to the hub. And I have also recorded straight to my hard drive eliminating my Lacie). Still I'm getting this high pitched hissing sound/digital distortion that only disappears when you change the buffer size (from 256 to 128 or the other way around, doesn't matter I think) or when you restart the program.

3) Sometimes - mostly when I open a guitar plugin and plug my guitar - there's a distinct delay on the monitor. That can also be solved by changing the buffer size, but this seems weird since I have a powerful enough mac which should allow to use a higher size.

4) Sometimes after a while (mostly when recording), all playback and record sound stops (even though the faders are flashing). I have found no way of reactivating that except but to close and reopen the program.

On the project I'm currently working on I have five tracks (acoustic guitar/no plugin, bass/amp plugin, drums/Addictive Drums, vocals/no plugin and electric guitar/amp + effect) and all of the above problems are applicable to it.

It's the first time I'm using pro tools and this is driving me nuts. Does anyone know how to solve all of these problems?

Thank you.