Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Help! OMF file from Final Cut Pro sync problems

Hello. I am having an issue with an OMF file that was exprted from Final Cut Pro (I don't know what version) and was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation.

I'm working on a film project and I need to import an OMF file into PT that was exported by someone else from FCP. no matter how I mess with this OMF file (OMF Tool or DigiTranslator 1.0) the audio in the converted PT session has sync issues. It's slow by about 2 seconds/hour. It's not a frame rate issue - we've exhausted all those options.

Any ideas? I'm in a really bind here. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Help! OMF file from Final Cut Pro sync problems

I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue but I've found that we have to *disable* the "include transition" option in FCP when making the OMF file. We still use 1 sec. handles, but including the associated crossfades seems to add the length of the crossfades to each edit point in a cumulative effect.

For example, if you have two clips (A and B) with a 15 frame crossfade transition, clip B gets spotted 15 frames late in the Pro Tools timeline.

Now this is from FCP 3.0 using OMF tool 2.0.7b. BTW, I'd be curious to know if others have seen this too.

-Noel
Old 01-31-2003, 07:16 PM

I get OMF from FCP all the time w/ no sync problems.
Are you spoting to a QT import from FCP as well?
Does the OMF match the QT?
Are you off line or on line?
Does PT session set up match OMF?
Is PT slave to USD? Does USD match PT set up or is it locked to a source?
Old 02-01-2003, 04:04 PM

Hi I work daily with OMFs from FCP, and occasionally have this sync problem. I can´t figure out what it is... But it´s generally random regions displaced by a random multiple of 5 frames... weird.
I sense it might have to do with some FCP preference because it started happening when a new editor came in with a new computer... but then occasionally only.
I've heard the most recent release of FCP improves exporting of OMF,but the editors I work with have been reluctant to install because apparently some things don't work well with the new version. Anyone know about this?
To stay on topic... Can your problem have to do with pull up or pull down?

Andres