Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Tascam US2400 joystick with Pro Tools

So.. the 2400 rocks. my main use for it, Fading, soloing and muting (lots of soloing and muting... Oh how i LOVE ADR and VO work). the faders are great (not like the ProControl though). and the rotary leds as meters is a usefull feature, but i rely on my PPMs anyway.

Clear Solos is a brilliant button that i missed when i sold my Pro Control... so i am happy its back.

I do surround work and love the fact that there is a joystick. however i am hating one thing. it seems that to use the joystick (as now it is mapping as a MCS Panner) one have to press the "Null" button while using it, as the Null buton acts like the MCS Panner's Takeover switch.

the problem is this. on the MCS panner the takerover function was on the "Z" axis of the joystick so basically grab the stick press down a little and go have fun panning. this is not the case with the US2400. One has to press the "Null" buttpn to use the joystick.

So you could say that really is not too much of a problem. and i would agree. BUT, I like being efficient, and after a few years of building good mixing habits of joystick panning while fader riding, i do not want to stop doing that now.

it would seem logical that one should be able to be riding a fader whilest panning the material as well. it could be argued that this is still possible, BUT try it yourself. the "Null" button is hard to keep a finger one when making swift and accurate panning movements with the rest of that same hand. So to pan efficiently and accurately one has to have one hand pressing the "Null" button and another panning the stick.

UGH

sorry for being long winded. this just gets far under my skin.

and it must be easily able to be solved. IF not, i am getting out my soldering iron, ading a 1/4 inch jack iin the back (to use with a footswitch), and overriding the null button with that footswitch. and of course then Voiding my warrantee. Argh this is ludicrous

where is firmware update 1.3????

oh an i am on PT 6.4.1 Mix Cubed it integreates fine and all works well. i think that TaSCAM just didn't "get it"

and their tech support.. HA.. none of them have even used it with Pro Tools. USELESS and when i asked to be transfered to an R&D engineer they refused, even the tech supp manager refuesed. He wants me to write a letter requesting it be changed, and then maybe i will get a response from an R&D engineer.

Any Ideas or input, and anyone feel the same about this
Old 08-11-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Tascam US2400 joystick with Pro Tools

I like your footswitch idea. The thing about the warrantee is, are you willing to use it as it is now for the warrantee period? Can you simply sneek a small cable without destroying the case, until your warrantee is up, or do you have to defeat one of those tamper tabs?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:55 AM

i have yet to run into a tamper tab that i have not conquered!!!!

(said in a sorta bwahahahaha way....)

valid point. i cold just have a cable slip into the console somewhere (maybe the existing footswitch port.. somehow) but i just got the bloddy thing, so the warrantee is a whole year.... UGH

i have been told from the moderator of "taSCAM forums" to put in a request. but to whom. the California guys are utterly useless. none of them had ever used Pro Tolls with taSCAM equipment. uhhh HELOOOOOO (big cave...) so once i find the person to contact regarding this, they will hear every possible scenario of how this thing will see real world use. and maybe then they will change it in a firmware update..... maybe the null button would be usefull as a reset, a joystick "panic" button brining X and Y axis each to 0

sorry i am appalled, angry, annoyed, disapointed, under pressure from this current gig, and i dont really have the time to figure out this things insides without schematics just to bypass a sodding button.

Cheers for the moral support Richard. if you hear of a workaround (other than the footpedal) let me know
Old 08-11-2005, 12:15 PM

Yeah sure, "put in a request". I tried that twice when I got a DSM7.1, right after they came out. I did not receive any sort of acknowledgement that my submissions were delivered anywhere, no autoreply, and of course my request was never implemented. And, I submitted the requests in the manner and to whom suggested by the California factory folks. I hope you have better results.