Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: pros still using OS 9 exclusively?

Exactly it is the Man or Woman.. and not exclusively the tools.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:03 PM

I quite agree OSX is actually working fine and stable with all protools systems.
Now Apple has told about the INTEL processors which will launch another huge amount of questions about what could happen with protools on MACINTELS . Can you Imagine what sort of problems could emerge from this New impact from Apple?
It seems that people will continue to using OS9 on the next year when Apple will be introducing it's new Macintels despite of anything that could happen at this time so I wonder if we will not have to pay for this kind of ambicious move cause you know we've been alaways paying some price everytime Apples makes an important move and this time it will be no different I think at this time the great majority of Protools user (On macintosh) are thinking if this move will make the right move towards an even better computer runing Protools faster and reliable as alaways or will it be a completly disaster for protools users.
Only time will tell .
Thx.
Nardão.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:37 PM

I'm still on OS9, with the latest G4 and 2 gig ram and a mix3. Let's say I'm a quite happy user, regarding stability of my setup, especially when running Logic 6.4.1 and Esb

I ordered a HD3, three days before Job's annoucement. And to be honnest, I don't know what to do now. I still have the ability to cancel my order...

For post job, I really think HD and OSX is an improvement for many reasons :

Objective ones : more horsepower, better converter, sound and soft improvement

Subjective ones : better look, feeling to be up to date, OS improvement compare to 9.

But I really feel angry at the virtual industry about the music part. OSX broke what was starting to be hot on OS9 : the ability to run a good sequencer supporting VST very well using the TDM architecture.

Using lot of VSt'is on OSX with TDM is a real nightmare. I have several examples around me living the hell with Logic, virtual instruments. Some made the jump to PT for sequencing, and that was my objective with HD. RTAS doesn't seem to be really ok with several plugs, not to talk about VST and AU that doesn't exist for PT (Wrapper is not a solution in many cases) When reading the Duc wich is a serious place, I only see problems with midi (Stuck notes, freesbee with Rtas, incompatibility Panther Tiger). When reading serious Logic groups like Logic TDM, it's getting worse and worse). So what ?

Lot of Pro users around me are still on OS9 for this reason, me included. It's not really a Digi fault, but more an OSX, Apple, AU thing. The industry gave us something promising on OS9. On OSX, a f..ing choice to make, especially running PC to compensate what is not running well on mac (and buy Digital I/O to be able to input 16 adat when madi is 64 ins with no problem on other plateforms).

I used to think customers were listened by Digi and Apple. But they really don't care, only market share. I really feel an hostage of all this business now, manipulated by people making their business war. I don't want to blame Digi too much cause Apple is more responsable for this. Anyway some customers really need a solution, and there is no REAL solution at the time nly compromises wich is a real nonsense when spending 20K$ for updating all this stuffs. OS9 is a solution for waiting, but I really feel sad...

And now the Macintel thing : perhaps they had to do that, but anyway, it is not a good news when waiting a stable solution. How many updates, how many tests to have something workable. Really sad...
Old 06-15-2005, 02:56 PM

I've been trying to use Logic 6.4.3 with HD ACC with OSX and it is very buggy.I'm using ProTools 6.7 for MIDI which seems to be stable but is still not there.(will it ever be?). The RTAS synth and samplers are not that stable. If I want to us the ESX24 and the other stuff I have to sequence it in Logic with another Mac.Is a pain because the sync is not perfect. Then I bring back to ProTools via Motu 2409 Mk3.I wish I could use Logic just as "multi synth"and sequence everything in PT,but I can't figure out how to to it with multiple instruments
Old 06-15-2005, 11:52 PM

OS 9.2.2 w/ PT 5.1.1 in 3 rooms.
8 Grammys since we opened 4 years ago.

On occasion we get HD rigs coming through, and I love the improvements in performance (crossfade, plug in insertion, etc all during playback!!!). Sure 96k on the 192's sounds fine. Sortof like 44.1 through Apogee AD 8000's, but who can really tell if it is all running through an analog console in the end! Ha

One biggy for me is the loss of INPUT metering while a track is in RECORD, during playback, before punching in (Quickpunch).
They dropped this simple function at 5.1.3 ! Even with the new "Input vs. Record" buttons and functions in 6.7, it still doesn't work quite as easily to see what a player is doing "Meterwise", before I punch in...
Even with Video Cameras and screens in all our iso booths and recording spaces, there is nothing like seeing a "Matching Level" (db wise and Rhythmically) and being able to punch in early (or later) to catch some inspiration!

Other than that, the expense of upgrading digi, apple, and 3rd party software / hardware on 3 systems is WAY OUT OF THE QUESTION, even for a "working" facility.
Even if we could justify the expense, ALL of the improvements offered by PT 6.9 and OSX make ME work faster, getting my clients out of here quicker, and thereby possibly REDUCING the facility's INCOME. (Ok, a bit of a stretch there to prove a point .... Gosh, I WISH switching to OSX could make me work THAT much faster !!!)

We can't raise our rates, just because we "upgraded". In fact clients want to pay less than ever these days.

whew, sorry to go off on that route......

Basically all of these systems can work and sound great, AND really depend on YOUR individual situation, setup, and needs.

Sort of like asking if any working musicians are using pre-CBS strats or 70's-80's strats......
Mac Pro, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HDX, 2xAlphalink,1xDeltaLink,
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
VENUE SC48 3.2 with iPad Control
SSL Duality
SSL Duality via ipMIDI / ∂elta Automation Plug-In
Old 06-16-2005, 07:40 AM

Let me just say that I cannot dispute 8 Grammies. Congrats! Unfortunately, studios in the LA area have not faired as well. There are a lot of studios that did not upgrade and have paid a mighty price. And no I am not saying that if you don't buy an HD rig that you are going out of business. That would be absurd to say that. But I can say that in the LA area for a long time now the studios who were progressive and set the pace were project rooms. Eventually big commercial studios started dropping one by one.

Your right. Commercial rooms couldn't raise their rates and they were not keeping pace with what the smaller project studios could do. In LA the smaller project rooms with HD became the standard. Now project studios are charging the rates commercials rooms used to charge. There are a some great exceptions to the rule. Santa Barbara Sound had a vintage Neve in their room for years. 10 months they eventually decided to rip the Neve out, put the modules rack-mounted in the wall and put in a 32 fader ICON. He has been booked solid ever since.

It's just like a lot of things in this industry, if you fall to far behind, it's almost impossible to catch up. IMHO, 9.2.2 is to far.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound