Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Sample searching programs

OK so..

Me: OS9, Mix cubed, 5.1.3 about 170GB of SFX (converted to SDII ot AIFF from my CDs) and doing lots of freelance Post Prod stuff (commercial, docu, short, the odd indi feature...) you get the point....

I have used (in places of employment) Samplesearch (by Gallery) it was ok, but unstable, and I have used Soundhound, which rocks, but i cant seem to find where to buy it..... i also have used the Workspace in PT 6.4 ...

Are there any sample searching programs for OS9.. or should i just suck it up, partition a drive, buy 6.4.1 and use it with its Workspace to do my tracklaying sessions. then export so i can finish in 5.1.3.... seems like a waste of money. there must be a cheaper way.....

and please dont say sherlok... Ugh (and then quicktime to listen, and then PT, Import, find the file and then convert it.. Bloody Hell!! when will it end......

sorry to dish out the crap.. had a long couple of days of..... TRACKLAYING from sherlok etc...
Old 11-11-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Sample searching programs

download soundhound from this site, http://www.muteant.com/soundHoundmore.html
but I think you should really look into Soundminer, has a much bigger bite than the hound!

www.soundminer.com

Cheers

Craig Henighan MPSE
Sound Dogs
Old 11-11-2004, 07:48 PM

Soundminer without a doubt.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:30 AM

did you look at Mtools, by gallery? works great for me. os9, and now osx.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-12-2004, 08:45 AM

I gotta vote for Soundminer. I used to use Mtools... SoundMiner blows it out of the water!
Great product, Greater support!

Old 11-12-2004, 09:15 AM

The problem with all those software is: You have to speak english!

If you don't, you need a "your language" to english dictionary for all the words you don't know.

Without a dictionary how could you figure out that a "cornemuse" in french is a bagpipes?

So we still use an old PC with a french search engine. There is no value in Soundminer for us, we won't buy it.

JC
Old 11-12-2004, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The problem with all those software is: You have to speak english!

If you don't, you need a "your language" to english dictionary for all the words you don't know.

Without a dictionary how could you figure out that a "cornemuse" in french is a bagpipes?

So we still use an old PC with a french search engine. There is no value in Soundminer for us, we won't buy it.

JC
contact them, they're in Canada.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:24 PM

Not too keen on the price of Soundminer.. I know Soundhound is much cheaper and works vey well.

Mtools.. its the whole gallery thing.. just didnt like how "Samplesearch" worked (or didnt work really)

Any others..... i downloaded Mand E PRO 's demo. from SFXNET... (priced $100 US) ITS rubbish.
you have to have these files installed that it searched. they are database files.. (basically lists of SFX) But it you have done it the way i have... (CD by CD and painstakingly labeled everything ..) you wont have these list file things.. (very odd software)
Old 11-12-2004, 01:26 PM

well, my "old school" way was File Maker Pro. you can get the modules from the various effects dealers, and build your own. then, you either leave, the stuff on cd's, or you rip them yourself and leave them as aiffs, and/or mp3's. the mp3's can be loaded into FMP for auditioning. then you'd need to import them from PT. it worked for while for me. and it's cheap.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-15-2004, 03:22 PM

First I will add a vote for SoundMiner, the Le version is ~$400 so it's not that expensive and it will run under OS 9. Next would be Sound Log Pro, though you would have to get the older version. The other alternative is FileMaker. I built one in OS9 and moved it to X. Searches and catalogs drives (SLP in OS X is much faster and SM is VERY fast), tags files and copies them to directory of choice, auditions in QT or Sound App (so any format QT can play. The Up side is it's free the down side is you need to own a copy of FileMaker and you get pretty much no support. I don't write software, it was a personal need thing and a few friends wanted it so it evolved a bit. I use SLP and am planning on SM in the next month or so. My experience with Gallery has been very negative so I (personaly) wouldn't even consider them.

SK