Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2003, 01:07 AM

Default Apogee really worth the cost for AD/DA?

Some friends gave me advice for my Digi001 and suggested I run my instruments into an Apogee AD PSX-100 and use the digital outs from that to the digital ins on the 001 as that would be better than using the 001's analog inputs. I am really clueless what determains good AD versus bad AD. What makes Apogee so good? Why sould I pay $2,000 for the PSX-100 instead of $199 for the Behringer Ultramatch Pro or $399 for Alesis AI3?

Eeeep! I appreciate the advice. oo:
Old 08-27-2003, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Apogee really worth the cost for AD/DA?

if you are after really high end results and you have the budget then go right ahead. it would make a substantial difference to the claraty... but 99% of the population wouldnt hear the difference. i just spent $1600 on a preamp and it sounds amazing, but my wife cant tell the difference between it and the digi pres! if you are a home studio/ project studio and you havent got or dont plan on getting high end mic's and mic pre's it is gunna be a waist... spend that hard earned money on something more suitable
Old 08-27-2003, 12:25 PM

I wouldn´t want to say anything against the boxes mentioned above ( no question, great sounding stuff ), but currently LynxTwo cards are getting incredible reviews. Allegedly some have even sold very expensive converters in adavantage to these while they are uncomparably cheap. ( Well, after all no boxes ... "Just" a PCI card with cables ...)

If their ADA ( up to 192k, BTW ) is so outstanding as being said they might be dragging me away from my beloved PT into another host.

What can you do when your final goal is sonics ...

Greets,

Lalaman
Old 08-27-2003, 04:53 PM

Once you start looking at Lynx Two, and switching away from Pro Tools... LOTS of interesting possibilities arise.
I'm intrigued by the Metric Halo ULN-2... but then I'd need a Mac, and DP or Logic... and...

Old 08-27-2003, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I wouldn´t want to say anything against the boxes mentioned above ( no question, great sounding stuff ), but currently LynxTwo cards are getting incredible reviews. Allegedly some have even sold very expensive converters in adavantage to these while they are uncomparably cheap. ( Well, after all no boxes ... "Just" a PCI card with cables ...)

If their ADA ( up to 192k, BTW ) is so outstanding as being said they might be dragging me away from my beloved PT into another host.

What can you do when your final goal is sonics ...

Greets,

Lalaman
Hi Lalaman,The reviews you have read about Lynx cards are true.I use a Lynx L22 for mastering and as they say, the converters are outstanding.I also have a Lucid 96k word clock generator when I used it with the Lynx it made no difference so I guess I can get rid of that one.I also have an RME Hdsp 96/52 with an ADI 8 DS external converter, The Lynx card just blew it away.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:55 PM

[quote
Hi Lalaman,The reviews you have read about Lynx cards are true.I use a Lynx L22 for mastering and as they say, the converters are outstanding.I also have a Lucid 96k word clock generator when I used it with the Lynx it made no difference so I guess I can get rid of that one.I also have an RME Hdsp 96/52 with an ADI 8 DS external converter, The Lynx card just blew it away.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Skip,

I´m torn apart. One of my peoples will cross the ocean early next month and I have to decide for either the new ADC from Benchmark ( while it isn´t even out and availability in time for me anyway quite unsure ) or the Lynx card A.

The box would mean very likely fascinating pres and very comfortable routing options for its diverse digital outs and seperate accesible cons, meaning fine feeding for my LE limiteds options and being prepared for later higher resolutions.

The card on the other hand would mean Samplitude here I come. I think it might run even in the same PC with PT. ... Although I am not even sure whether I would be returning to PT then.
As far as I know you get more air with 96k and if the 192k would mean a new generation of converting in that resolution who knows even what that sounds like ... anyway, was saying that I expect benefits even with downsampling and taking the stuff into PT ( despite of the common doubt on downsampling ), but maybe I wouldn´t want to do that. I would need to listen and compare first.

Howsoever, ... I feel like a virgin on Sankt Pauli. Should I get this one , or that ...

Greets,

Lalaman
Old 08-27-2003, 07:13 PM

At present I'm using Sequoia 6.0 and algorythmix with this card and some outboard gear for mastering.There is an advantage in upsampling to 96k, the Avalon compressor,eq I use sounds so much nicer there.Sequoia has worked flawlessly and with a dual processor AMD you can't beat the combo.When I first heard the Lynx I almost **** On myself especially when its coming out of Dynaudio monitors.I think it will be a while before I head up to 192k but at least its there when I need it.That makes this card way ahead of the game.You'll love the software mixer too with phase and dither on every channell.I still have an 001 and I'm sure it will still get used from time to time,if nothing else I'll keep it around for old times sake.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:23 PM

Hey you got some stuff there, body
What would you think the use of the 001 could be of additional benefit for you? And did you try both in one system ( I think 001 / PT could function on dual CPU, even if not using it optimal )? Why havn´t you not tried 192k yet?

Ooops, where this just a couple of questions in a line? Guess I´m interested somehow

Greets,

Lalaman

PS: Sequoia in opposite to Samplitude has midi I assume?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:35 PM

I haven't tried the 001 in the same box,I have two computers one for mastering and one for 001.I guess your right Lalaman what would I need it for...hmmm.As for 192k I just havent made the plunge yet cause 96k seems to render good sound.Perhaps I'll give it a test run soon just to see how it sounds.I'm pretty much out of tracking these days and I'm learning everything I can about mastering.I guess old age has gotten the best of me plus laziness too
Old 08-27-2003, 08:31 PM

Jeez, while talking to you I got aware that there is absolutely no time left. Quickly made myself clear what the option is ... and send e-mail to my body to get me the LynxTWO-A together with the Lynx LS-ADAT.

Should it work out this will have been my fastest buy yet. Pheew!
Where I want it to be bought they throw in a free version of Samplitude. Nice until later when I would get me its pro version. Sequoia is just WAY too expensive for me, but Samplitude is great already.

Greets,

Lalaman