How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2015, 05:29 AM

Default Clocking issues in PT 11 HD Native [SOLVED]

Good day to you all on the DUC.

I have just introduced an Apogee Symphony 16x16 Analogue onto my PT11 HD Native system along side my HD 8x8x8. I have connected the symphony to the second HD Native card port. The symphony is set up in PT mode. I am running into an iMac 3.5GHz i7 with 32 gig of ram. I am using the 8x8x8 as the master clock and have connected a UAD 4-710D from one clock output and the Apogee connected from the second clock output from the 8x8x8. Both into the clock inputs of the 4-710 and the Apogee. The hardware is set up and recognised. I have 16 outputs from the Apogee going to an SSL X Desk and returning to the Apogee. I am getting signal out and returning and hearing sound.

However after a few seconds I am getting error message aee 9129 which is a either a clocking issue or increase HW buffer size. I have done this but to no avail. I clearly have a connection issue with the apogee and the way I have connected the clock? The apogee is also clicking and showing a warning sign every few seconds. I have both trawled the DUC and read the apogee manual but cannot find a solution so I am hoping someone hear can tell me what I have done wrong please? I hope I have provided enough information so far too.

Thank you in advance, Jon
Old 12-12-2015, 03:20 PM

Post Re: Clocking issues in PT 11 HD Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancampbell View Post
I am using the 8x8x8 as the master clock and have connected a UAD 4-710D from one clock output and the Apogee connected from the second clock output from the 8x8x8. Both into the clock inputs of the 4-710 and the Apogee.
Which clock output of the 8x8x8 is connected to the UAD? Which clock output of the 8x8x8 is connected to the Apogee?

The 8x8x8 has word clock input/output and loop sync input/output. My first thought is that both devices need to be connected to the word clock output. If neither the Apogee or the UAD has a word clock output, then you would need a word clock distribution amplifier (DA) to make this work.

I don't know if either the UAD or the Apogee will lock to loop sync, and if neither device has a clock output, then its moot anyway, as all of the devices need to form a loop (sorry if this is obvious).
Old 12-12-2015, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Clocking issues in PT 11 HD Native

Hi Jonathan, out to the Uad. Sync loop to the apogee. However I haven't got a return coming back up?

I've ordered some bnc 't' connectors. My thoughts are 8x8x8 out to apogee with a t connector send out to the Uad. The apogee has a loop circuit but the Uad doesn't and should be at the end. I know there's a solution as thousands of others seem to be happy!

Thank you for your help so far...much appreciated.

Jonathan
Old 12-12-2015, 11:57 PM

I would think that you need to connect Apotee and Avid HD interface together using Loop Sync (both ways, that's what the loop stands for). Try that first, without UAD, and see if it works properly. Then connect UAD using ext.clock output and try again.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:52 AM

Spot on JFreak...thank you. Loop synced the convertors on their own and issue resolved. Thank you!