Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2001, 03:27 PM

Default OS X-should I install it?

Howdy folks. I finally bought all of the components of my new home studio, the core of which is Protools 001 & a new g4 (733Mhz, 512MB Ram..). Everything is humming along smoothly (so far), including an ATTO SCSI card & Aurora Fuse video card. My question is this:
When I bought the G4, I got a copy of OS X free. Should I install it? I'm currently running OS 9.1, and would HATE to see problems arise from OS X , since I don't actually need to install it.

However, I'm curious to see what it's like, so I'm turning the question over to you guys: should I install OS X or not?
Thanks
splitsurround [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2001, 07:29 PM

Default Re: OS X-should I install it?

You have plenty of ram, so it shouldn't be a big deal. OSX has OS 9.1 built into it, and you can run OS 9.1 from within OSX. It's called "classic" or something like that. So, if you install it, you'll still be fine. You will just be sucking down the RAM just to run your OS.
A Mac guru guy at work here is running OSX and swears by it's abilities...but he is not running any audio applications...so for what that is worth...
Old 07-03-2001, 04:33 AM

Yea, it is a sweet os, I'm typing on it right now on my powerbook, but this is what you should do:
If you have a separate partition or hard drive than install osx on that along with it's own version of os 9.1. That way all you need to do is choose the osx hard drive as the startup disk under control panels and you can play around with it. Then when you need to go back to Pro Tools just choose your other hard drive in startup disk and restart.
Good Luck
Old 07-03-2001, 10:24 AM

I would definitely not count on ProTools to run reliably in classic. Install OSX to another partition, and only after a LOT of testing would I ever consider sticking with OSX. Even then I doubt I would, since you've gotta reboot with dedicated extension set for PT anyways, might as well just reboot with dedicated partition.
Old 07-03-2001, 10:32 AM

it sounds like I might want to just leave well enough alone. Thanks for the input, everyone!

-split

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sugarite:
I would definitely not count on ProTools to run reliably in classic. Install OSX to another partition, and only after a LOT of testing would I ever consider sticking with OSX. Even then I doubt I would, since you've gotta reboot with dedicated extension set for PT anyways, might as well just reboot with dedicated partition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>