How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2012, 03:24 PM

Default Unable to update from 9.0.5 to 9.0.6

Hi All,

Ive recently purchased Pro Tools 9 and downloaded and installed 9.0.5 from the site. I then downloaded 9.0.6 and tried installing, however, every single time, it tells me I do not have a previous Pro Tools install on my machine. Ive tried reinstalling 9.0.5 from scratch and retrying it, but that doesn't work. I can't install with the original media as I am on Lion, so I'm at a complete loss what to try next. Ive seen a few posts about this, but no proper solution, at least not for a Lion user. Anyone have any ideas? Ive not started using it properly yet, so I've yet to find bugs with 9.0.5, but if I cannot install updates, thats pretty poor!

thanks,

Justin
Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Unable to update from 9.0.5 to 9.0.6

Basically, the updater wants to see the Pro Tools.app, ProToolsRegistration.app, and (I think) the SoftwareUpdater.app - in the Pro Tools folder (which is in the Digidesign folder).

I updated to Lion on my Macbook Pro (for iCloud reasons) and got a warning that my Pro Tools version would not work (I had 9.0.3). I downloaded the 9.0.5 updater, ran it and it failed at the end of the install (removing the apps I mentioned above). So, when I tried to run the updater again, it said the same thing you found - no previous installation of Pro Tools, because, of course it erased them !! I was lucky to have another MB Pro and upon seeing what was missing from the folder (compared them), put them on a thumb drive and dragged them into the PT folder. Then I found and ran the 9.0.5 updater and it worked fine. Upon launching PT, software updater informed me of 9.0.6 and I downloaded it and the updater also worked just fine.

Long story short - the updated need to see certain apps in the Pro Tools folder.

HTH mp
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Unable to update from 9.0.5 to 9.0.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdprince View Post
I updated to Lion on my Macbook Pro (for iCloud reasons) and got a warning that my Pro Tools version would not work (I had 9.0.3)...
Same story here, but no happy ending.. I have a MacBook with PT8, a MacPro with PT10, but no PT9 to copy these missing files back (Argh!)