Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 10:53 AM

Default DSP Farm chip ?

Mix Plus with DSP farm (one currently) PT 6.4.1cs4 OS 10.3.9 MDD Dual 1.42GHz. All cards pass digitest. When instantiating Pitchblender or Timeblender there is an out of DSP error and the plug-in appears inactive but the DSP farm chip shows the plug using 0% of the first chip. Reactivating the plugin puts it onto the second chip, where it works fine, then the first chip shows <offline> and is no longer available dsp. I am continnuinng to troubleshoot this problem on my own, but wondered if anyone here had had a similar experience.
thanks,
Paul
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: DSP Farm chip ?

Well
I don´t know if this is also in 6.xx
In 7.3 you can switch individual dsp chips on / off by clicking on a chip in the dsp usage window

My you have switched it off!!

Sometimes a helfull featue if you work on a biiger hd und you know that your sessionwill go to anaother guy that has a smaller PT HD

Ale
Old 08-01-2007, 05:16 PM

Yes, I am aware of that feature, thanks. I think in that situation the chip says <allocated> rather than <offline> in the system usage window. thanks anyways.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 AM

Hey Madlo,
I just had this very thing happen. I sat down last Friday to do some final tweaks on a 5 song project. Should have taken a couple of hours..... took over 2 days. I finally made it thru by switching some plugs to HTDM and jumping thru various hoops. The DSP shuffle was not working. On one session I was only using 39 time slots out of 256 and still could not load some plugs. I was getting 7106, 7204, and 7077 DAE errors. And at one point I also had the "offline" chip in the useage window. I had guitar files playing through bass tracks. I tried importing DATA to a new session, trashing prefs, using freshly formatted drive.... you name it I tried it.

Are you using Channel Strip? The tech at my local dealer said older versions can cause problems. The folks at Digi think I either have a bad core card or possibly that batch of sessions just somehow caught the funk.
I'm still trouble shooting some stuff but I've moved on to other sessions and the DAE errors have stopped. These are smaller sesions though so we'll see how things act when I get back on the bigger stuff.

I doubt I've helped you here but wanted to let you know it's happening to other folks. By the way, I never have problems with my rig. I'm running an older PT6 system on a G4 doing 96k sessions and things are running as smooth as silk... until this popped up.
BT
MacPro 8 core
www.btruitt.com
Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 AM

No Channel strip here. Also this happens on the first instantiation of the plug in ie no other dsp being used other than the mixer. And, another weird thing is that before the chip goes <offline> it shows the plugin on the chip as using 0% but still takes up the whole chip. I hope this makes sense. Thanks bbob for your insight, makes me wonder if its a pt 6 issue since you are running an HD system and I am on Mix...
Old 08-03-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm not so sure it's a PT6 thing cause I've never seen this until last week.
Did you try running Digi test? Any DAE errors numbers? Does it happen on all sessions or just this particular session. Maybe try a new audio drive???
If I understood your last post correctly... you're having issues trying to load just one plug??? That's a little scarry. You may very well have a bad card. WhooooHoooooo!!
Good luck with everything.
BT
MacPro 8 core
www.btruitt.com
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Mix Plus with DSP farm (one currently) PT 6.4.1cs4 OS 10.3.9 MDD Dual 1.42GHz. All cards pass digitest. When instantiating Pitchblender or Timeblender there is an out of DSP error and the plug-in appears inactive but the DSP farm chip shows the plug using 0% of the first chip. Reactivating the plugin puts it onto the second chip, where it works fine, then the first chip shows <offline> and is no longer available dsp. I am continnuinng to troubleshoot this problem on my own, but wondered if anyone here had had a similar experience.
thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul,

This is a known bug (I reported it years ago). At this point, neither Digidesign or SoundToys is going to fix it. The way you workaround this bug is as follows.

1. Launch Pro Tools (not by double-clicking a session).
2. Open the System Usage window.
3. Click on the black bar that represents the DSP chip that is causing you grief. It should turn
red and its status should change to <allocated>.
4. Load the session using this plug-in, or if starting from scratch, leave this chip allocated
until after instantiating one of the Blender plug-ins.

I know that's not exactly the answer you were hoping for, but it's the best one there is.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:46 AM

thanks, while that sort of isn't what I want to hear, I feel much better knowing it isn't just me. I am assuming the bug is only with the 'blender plugs on DSP Farms? Its curious because when loading those plugs they want to go right onto the DSP farm instead of the Mix farm or core.
Thanks again, much appreciated!!