Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: The most stable version of PT

Quote:
...I've got a rock solid system, which is great. I just can't use my $4200+WUP$$$$ Waves plugs, at all, ever, which until recently were the most frequently used ones I have.

Which deeply sucks...
If you can't use the plugs you want, is that really rock solid?
Have you noticed that Apple has now dropped the word 'computer' from their official name?
Old 02-03-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
...I've got a rock solid system, which is great. I just can't use my $4200+WUP$$$$ Waves plugs, at all, ever, which until recently were the most frequently used ones I have.

Which deeply sucks...
If you can't use the plugs you want, is that really rock solid?
Have you noticed that Apple has now dropped the word 'computer' from their official name?
It would appear that you missed the intended tone of my post...
Old 02-03-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:

if you use PT everyday all day ....you might be fast......

are the beta testers fast enough for the core group of pros in here who work every day all day and FAST cuz we have people here sometimes looking at their watch while we are working.

we have to to be able to afford the many quirky updates that might be being tested by the slower end of the digi food chain.
not a judgement ...not an observation
just a thought.
Well I am a beta tester, and I do an awful lot of work with PT- It might be a bit slower sometimes, but the work still gets done...
And the G5/HD is far superior to an OS9 system. Please take into consideration the updates that Apple does as well- these do affect things- and well Wave's, well....

As to all these conversations about how the good ol' days were way better, and how bloated the OS was lets do a little reality check-

Nowadays we have 750gb drives that cost 500 bucks-
then we had 47gb drives that cost $700

Back in the good old days we could have 1.5gb of ram the new machines allow for what 16gb?

On Mix you had a ceiling of 64 tracks
On mix you had a sample rate ceiling of 48.048 kHz

Mix systems were about the same price as HD systems when they were new-

As far as programming bloat- that is caused by object oriented, multiplatform aware programming enviornments. People wax poetic about how things used to come on a single floppy disk back in the old OS6/7 days of the Mac, but bake then, Apple would do an OS update maybe once every 8 months. When that occurred it took MONTHS to get new versions of software out- I personally do not miss that one bit- Also everytime a new Mac came out, generally the OS was slightly tweaked to accomodate it, which of course broke all the third party software- Anyone remember the Mac IIFX? (which was a $9000 dollar machine back in 1989...).

So yes things have changed- machines are faster, but some speed is compromised by the universality of the sofware- it is all a part of progress(!?)

And as far as Waves stuff making your machine crash- well thats a Waves issue- there are TONS of other plugins that don't cause the machine to cave in, and they are just as good in most cases.

here is the resume if you care=
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0562825/

charles maynes

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Hello. I think you will find there are very few people running Pro Tools HD on Windows XP period. Not very many people at all. But ask all those who do use it and see what their stability is like. I think the fact that very few people use it doesn't mean it's not stable. Windows XP is very stable, obscenely so. It just happens that some people in audio (and video, graphics, etc) have a weird religious Mac vs PC thing. But the fact remains that as far as stability goes, Windows XP will beat just about any Mac OS out there. That's been my experience and the experience of anyone who actually uses it. Ask them.

As for Pro Tools on Mac, I think my point stands. The people that hang out here on this forum are music related people for the most part. Ask Post people, ask people that use it for other applications, ask LE people, etc. Depending on who you ask you will get different responses.
I've been using Pro Tools on Windows XP for Post recently, and I find it to be one of the least stable systems I've ever used. 6.9 was so full of bugs it felt like working in PT 4 again. 7.2 has been fairly stable, but the computer will still completely freeze every once in a while. And the system was set up by a PC/PT tech and conforms to all the PT compatibility guidelines.
As for the Macs, I've found 6.9 and 7.1 to be the most stable. I've seen very few crashes on any of 10 different OS X systems I've used with either of these PT versions. I don't really use plug-ins, though. 6.4 and 5.1 both seemed terribly unstable on Mix systems I've used, although I think the problems could have stemmed from using a Quicksilver G4, which I think was a problematic Mac model.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
as was the near final version on OS 9 PT 5.1.3
Good Point Just a few more months is all it needed!!!!!
Heck yeah, I still feel like OS 9.2.2 with 5.1.1 was the best situation ever, I never used 5.1.3 but I wish there was a way to use the "hot rodded" 9.2.2 we finally came up with and PT 5.1.1 with the new higher powered macs. We had our system drive partitioned to be about 800 MB and could easily fit our whole system and PT and a couple other apps in there and keep all the samples etc on the other partition. Talk about SUPER FAST even on a G4 800 it was the bomb. 6.7 on a Dual 2 GHz G5 was a huge down grade in speed and reliability if you ask me, despite the obvious improvements in the long run. 7.1 on the same machine works a lot better now with 10.4.8 but that darn SWOD keeps popping up once in a while and sure enough it seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. Anyway, my 2¢
Old 02-09-2007, 12:38 PM

All I know is I use 5.1 on OS9.1 and aside from a few missing features I would not trade the responsiveness of my system for anythign running on OSX, yet. As a machead for over 15 years I am ashamed to say if I had to pick a HOST based system i would probably opt for a windows xp LE system. Having a choice of TDM.. I pick the os9 rig over em all. OSX has the same slow feel that I have always hated about windows. It's that translating from gui to command that feels so latent.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
All I know is I use 5.1 on OS9.1 and aside from a few missing features I would not trade the responsiveness of my system for anything running on OSX, yet.
A FEW missing features!? That's funny.
How many features do you use on on 10.4.8 (7.3.1), that were only a dream in 9.2.2 (5.1)?

Just the option dragging of EQ's and aux sends alone is worth it.
Changing and grouping multiple outs. Import session data.
The VI's in PT 7. This list could literally take me the rest of the day.
Ya know, I think 9.2.2 was a great OS, but go back to it. No thank you, not ever.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 02-10-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I've got a rock solid system, which is great. I just can't use my $4200+WUP$$$$ Waves plugs, at all, ever, which until recently were the most frequently used ones I have.
I know what you mean. You're saying that the system is stable and fast, and although you can't use Waves plugin's, you still consider it rock solid.

I'm saying that maybe you've lowered your expectations.

The fact that this many users in 2007 would still be singing the praises of a system that is long gone has got to make you wonder.

The point about Apple dropping the word 'computer' from their official name has nothing to do with your situation; I just threw that in as a point of interest.

I would not be surprised if Apple drops the computer/OS business altogether. They have the iPod, which is a runaway hit. They're now pushing the iPhone, which could potentially be very big. The computer side of things seems to be left on the back-burner.

Maybe that’s why Digi is still tweaking OS9 code, instead of writing a completely new PT system.

They say they have no plans on dropping Apple support, but what if Apple drops their computer business… releases a version of OSX for the PC… goes head on at Vista???
Old 02-11-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I've got a rock solid system, which is great. I just can't use my $4200+WUP$$$$ Waves plugs, at all, ever, which until recently were the most frequently used ones I have.
I know what you mean. You're saying that the system is stable and fast, and although you can't use Waves plugin's, you still consider it rock solid.

I'm saying that maybe you've lowered your expectations.

Sigh...

I guess I'm just going to have to spell it all out for you then. When I said:

"I've got a rock solid system, which is great. I just can't use my $4200+WUP$$$$ Waves plugs, at all, ever, which until recently were the most frequently used ones I have. Which deeply sucks..."

It was intended as what is generally called "tongue in cheek". As in humorous, ironic, sarcastic...etc...

My system is far from "rock solid". It crashes like the Hindenburg every time I "Wave" at it.

It's great if I don't though.

Which sucks.

My expectations aren't lowered. My expectations are completely pissed off.

Get it?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:57 PM

I'm on 7.1cs5 and it's rock solid. I'm on a G5 Dual 2 gig and I, as much as I hate to say it, use my Waves stuff whenever I want to. Absolutly no problems at all. I've done four three month long record projects in the past year on this setup and have been afraid to upgrade to 7.3 because things have been stable as all heck. Also, there really hasn't been any time to mess around with changing things and that has worked out just fine. Back in the day my OS 9 system never had this kind of record. It was messing with me all the time. It just goes to show you that everyones experiences are unique to the complexity of their particular system as my experience obviously contradicts most of the other reports on this thread. Go figure.