Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2021, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Document could not be opened because it was created with an older version of Prot

Current Modus Operandi is to move this session to SSD and regularly check to make sure it's not going sideways again. It would be good to know if I can just check the TMP file as I go or if I should close and open the session over and over again. If I discover that I'll post it back here.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Document could not be opened because it was created with an older version of Prot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
I'd love to know the file size difference from Brad's last working session to the one immediately after.
Surely there are some checksums going on in the background that a save has been successfully written, and if there's a discrepancy - alert the user so that they don't keep writing and working on a corrupted session. It might have enabled him to use "Save Session Copy In" instead (to a different location) - maybe that might have written a useable file. who knows. obviously what he had in RAM was functional, so I don't see why it couldn't be written to a good storage device once alerted about failing media. At the bare minimum he could have consolidated his working audio tracks.

I personally never use auto-backup, and simply save version #'s (v1.0, v1.1, etc) throughout the day each time I do a major change that I might want to revert to - combined with muscle-twitch memory of Command+S every minute or two. I realize that audio-post users like to simply work one on one ready-named session.

Brad also asks an important question:
"If it's writing the session backups corrupt, how can I trust ANYTHING?"

Does that itself point to a RAM-based error ?
So it's exactly the same size file when It goes from good to bad. In text edit it's totally obvious that it's corrupt and it gets progressively more garbage as the auto backups continue. I know I posted this before but I've run disk Util and Disk Warrior and there are no reported errors. It's very strange. Other session are not exhibiting this behavior on this drive. YET.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:28 AM

Brad, did you try both ways of opening the session?
Old 10-21-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feakerboo View Post
The physical drive is one of the super expensive WD 10TB Data Center drives it's probably a year old.
actually WD is one of the companies getting accused of using SMR on these massive drives and not letting customers know. do some reading on this.

go to an SSD for everything that's a live session.
only use Seagate data drives that are affirmed to be non-SMR for backup, and only do full backups. never overwrite anything. it's not worth the risk.
Seagate CMR | SMR Table:
https://www.seagate.com/internal-har.../cmr-smr-list/

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-21-2021 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added info.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
So it's exactly the same size file when It goes from good to bad. In text edit it's totally obvious that it's corrupt and it gets progressively more garbage as the auto backups continue. I know I posted this before but I've run disk Util and Disk Warrior and there are no reported errors. It's very strange. Other session are not exhibiting this behavior on this drive. YET.
wow. so that screws the checksum idea.
you're not running any drive encryption are you ?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
wow. so that screws the checksum idea.
you're not running any drive encryption are you ?
No encryption on this drive. I do use encrypted drives when I'm on a big show. It's required.

-b
Old 10-21-2021, 10:06 AM

and I wouldn't dare to write a single thing to that drive for now. don't even open a session, as it will write caches.
either clone the entire thing, or copy off things you immediately need.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
No encryption on this drive. I do use encrypted drives when I'm on a big show. It's required.-b
what kind of drive when it's encrypted ? spinner or SSD ?
Old 10-21-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
what kind of drive when it's encrypted ? spinner or SSD ?
I have an Apricorn Aegis Padlock DT FIPS that's been reliable. If I'm shipping or going on a plane I use that. But just as a way to move big data. I can work from it but I don't generally.

I'm playing with the Samsung L7s. I know a ton of guys who just have encrypted volumes on their T5s. Sometime's I'll keep the QTs on an encrypted volume that I dismount at the end of everyday but I love the idea of the L7s assuming they are reliable.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:26 PM

Hi Brad. This certainly seems like a disk issue but hard to say. Have you opened a support case? There is a chance of corruption within PT but it has different symptoms than what you describe. See here (but it's a long thread):

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405902

That's the only current show stopper corruption I've seen. There was another one related to imported material but I think it's been solved. Most other "normal" corruption can be solved by importing to a new session like you tried.

Let us know if you find anything out. You have my sympathy for lost work!