Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2008, 01:07 PM

Default Pop/Clicks - ProTools LE 7.4 (Mbox) - Mac Pro....HELP!!!!

Whether tracking, mixing or just playback, randomly I will get a pop/click that will register clipping on my master fader and omitting a loud enough pop to make my voice students wince. I have the correct Core Audio drivers and OS. My MBox has the latest firmware and I have enough RAM to choke a small donkey. I am running through a Furman Power Conditioner and I can find no consistent rhyme or reason as to when or why this happens.

I have Synthogy's Ivory Pianos and the latest Reason. If I use them as a stand alone module, it happens there too. So, it's not ProTools specific. When listening to my MacPro audio, which is coming out of it's 1/8" front line-out...no pop/click.

My Furman plugs directly into the wall socket. Should it be on a surge before plugging into the wall?

I feel I have exhausted my options and would love any helpful hints regardless of how foolish they may sound.

Best,
Scott
Old 03-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Avid

Default Re: Pop/Clicks - ProTools LE 7.4 (Mbox) - Mac Pro....HELP!!!!

Please start with the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum.

You may want to look at the Help us help you thread as well.

In other words - we need a lot more info.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Pop/Clicks - ProTools LE 7.4 (Mbox) - Mac Pro

OK, done. I did everything that the "Setup and General Trouble Thooting" thread said to do including removing HEEELP from my subject line.

Let me provide some more info now.

MacPro 2.66ghz Quad Core (2 internal SATA Drives)
Tiger 10.4.9
6GB RAM
ProTools Version 7.4 (Original MBOX)
External Firewire Drive (For recording/playback)
External USB Drive (not for ProTools)
Pyro AV Link (plugged in USB but only on when being used, never when recording)

That's my setup and I run the whole thing through a Mackie DFX-12 Analog Mixer into two Event monitors.

Back to my issue, I get a really loud pop/click at odd times whether recording or playing back or using stand alone modules. I recently purchased Synthogy's Ivory Pianos. I bought a second internal SATA drive on which to put the sound libraries as they were initally on my Boot drive. Transfered the library the other day and pop/click still occurs. I have everything running through a Furman power conditioner.

ProTools was reinstalled, I repaired disk permissions. Checked for faulty cables. Updated Mbox firmware. Newest PACE drivers and CoreAudio drivers.

That's all the info I have and I'm still getting this nasty pop. It happens whether I use Ivory/Reason as a stand alone, or if I'm running PT. Loud enough to where it makes my students cringe.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Avid

Quote:
OK, done. I did everything that the "Setup and General Trouble Thooting" thread said to do including removing HEEELP from my subject line.

Let me provide some more info now.

MacPro 2.66ghz Quad Core (2 internal SATA Drives)
Tiger 10.4.9
6GB RAM
ProTools Version 7.4 (Original MBOX)
External Firewire Drive (For recording/playback)
External USB Drive (not for ProTools)
Pyro AV Link (plugged in USB but only on when being used, never when recording)

That's my setup and I run the whole thing through a Mackie DFX-12 Analog Mixer into two Event monitors.

Back to my issue, I get a really loud pop/click at odd times whether recording or playing back or using stand alone modules. I recently purchased Synthogy's Ivory Pianos. I bought a second internal SATA drive on which to put the sound libraries as they were initally on my Boot drive. Transfered the library the other day and pop/click still occurs. I have everything running through a Furman power conditioner.

ProTools was reinstalled, I repaired disk permissions. Checked for faulty cables. Updated Mbox firmware. Newest PACE drivers and CoreAudio drivers.

That's all the info I have and I'm still getting this nasty pop. It happens whether I use Ivory/Reason as a stand alone, or if I'm running PT. Loud enough to where it makes my students cringe.
So, does this only occur with Reason or Ivory in the session? What type of Firewire drive is that - 400 or 800? Are you running the latest versions of both Reason and Ivory? Have you disabled all network/airport/wireless/bluetooth devices?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM

I'm running the latest version for Reason & Ivory.

I use Ivory and Reason in every session that I create so I have tested a session without either.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Firewire 400 @ 7200RPM
Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
I'm running the latest version for Reason & Ivory.

I use Ivory and Reason in every session that I create so I have tested a session without either.
Can you tell me the version numbers you're running, exactly?

As for your second statement - it's a little unclear. Have you tested this without Reason or Ivory in a session? If so, do the pops/clicks still occur?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Reason 3.0.5
Ivory 1.0 with the latest stand alone and RTAS update which is 1.64

I have not tried a PT session without Reason & Ivory. But Ivory as a stand alone causes the pop too.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Avid

Quote:
I have not tried a PT session without Reason & Ivory. But Ivory as a stand alone causes the pop too.
That would certainly point to an optimization that needs to be done in Ivory. Have you checked out the page on the Synthogy site with information on getting rid of pops/clicks?

http://www.synthogy.com/pages/support/faq.html#Mac_A21
Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 AM

I was on the phone with Ilio's tech support just the other day regarding Ivory and my current issue.

I had the entire sample library on my Boot Drive. I told them I had a 2nd SATA drive in my MacPro and they told me to move the library to it. They said a second internal SATA drive is the "BEST" option to run Ivory. It even far surpasses an external Firewire option. I moved it, I repaired the disk permissions and made sure to delete the library from my boot drive.

Still pops.