Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2021, 09:47 AM

Default Midi !!!!????

Why is the midi editing tool so incapable in 2021?? Zero copy and paste function without completely erasing other notes?? Still cant place a note on the 1 beat?? What did i just pay thousands of dollars for? Seriously avid this is absolutely unacceptable from any daw in 2021 and you are leading the way in failing at midi editing capability. Will most likely have to use ableton to write which makes using protools almost pointless for anything but mixing.. Why? Why cant we have the most basic of midi functionality out of the world most expensive daw?
Old 08-05-2021, 09:57 AM

Default Midi in 2021 still sucks?

Dear avid,

Its 2021 and i still cant input a midi not on beat 1 of sequence. I still cant paste individual midi notes without erasing the rest of a sequence. These are two of the most basic needs in midi sequencing and somehow the SUPPOSED leading audio software on the planet has zero interest in supporting these most basic features. Why? What in the actual .......

Im screaming at my obscenely priced DAW right now trying to do the most basic of midi editing. Absolutely unacceptable.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Midi !!!!????

Can you copy notes without deleting what's there if you hit the midi merge button?..

It could do with a midi overhaul alright though..
Old 08-05-2021, 11:26 AM

It really is time for a midi bug and feature overhaul! Embarrassing!!!

Standard in film but you can barely use VI’s….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Midi !!!!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidknees View Post
Why is the midi editing tool so incapable in 2021?? Zero copy and paste function without completely erasing other notes?? Still cant place a note on the 1 beat?? What did i just pay thousands of dollars for? Seriously avid this is absolutely unacceptable from any daw in 2021 and you are leading the way in failing at midi editing capability. Will most likely have to use ableton to write which makes using protools almost pointless for anything but mixing.. Why? Why cant we have the most basic of midi functionality out of the world most expensive daw?
Nothing wrong with Pro Tools regarding your second point. Use Edit Menu>Paste Special>Merge or option+M
Old 08-06-2021, 01:05 PM

I'm in complete accord with all that the OP mentioned.

Simply changing the tempo of a section is also making MIDI notes disappear from time to time.

Also having an issue with double notes being created on the first notes (hidden notes reappearing after re-adjusting clip lengths).

Can't even drag n drop a drum loop accurately.
I go to drag n drop a 4 bar pattern and it drops in at 4 bars + 32 samples according the green bar length indicator.

Cut/insert time function creates a painstaking affair for what should be a simple arrangement edit.
Have to inspect and rearrange hundreds of MIDI notes after cutting/inserting a section.

32 samples seems to be the amount by which things are getting altered.

I've even noticed discrepancies with the visual grid. The last 16th note box being smaller than the rest in some occasions.
At least in my current session.

But I keep using PT to carry out my musical visions.
In the time it would take me to re-learn a decades worth of established work flow in another DAW,
I could just re-arrange every note...;(

Simple few second edits are costing me hours of work making corrections.
The best thing I can think of is to commit to audio clips before doing any re-arranging of the song scheme.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 08-06-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:57 PM

Is it only me, or long sessions (more than 30mins), make midi editing incredibly sluggish? just try to mov a a note and the gui freezes for at least 3 seconds untill PT does it... unbearable!

Not to mention that recording and editing midi and audio tracks together is a real nightmare, it simply can't be done without creating caos.

And... playlists!!! just like audiotracks please!!!
Old 08-06-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
I'm in complete accord with all that the OP mentioned.

Simply changing the tempo of a section is also making MIDI notes disappear from time to time.

Also having an issue with double notes being created on the first notes (hidden notes reappearing after re-adjusting clip lengths).

Can't even drag n drop a drum loop accurately.
I go to drag n drop a 4 bar pattern and it drops in at 4 bars + 32 samples according the green bar length indicator.

Cut/insert time function creates a painstaking affair for what should be a simple arrangement edit.
Have to inspect and rearrange hundreds of MIDI notes after cutting/inserting a section.

32 samples seems to be the amount by which things are getting altered.

I've even noticed discrepancies with the visual grid. The last 16th note box being smaller than the rest in some occasions.
At least in my current session.

But I keep using PT to carry out my musical visions.
In the time it would take me to re-learn a decades worth of established work flow in another DAW,
I could just re-arrange every note...;(

Simple few second edits are costing me hours of work making corrections.
The best thing I can think of is to commit to audio clips before doing any re-arranging of the song scheme.
It's the same old story.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:16 PM

I get by.
Coming from Vision, Notator. Pro Tools, certainly MIDI works. Not a lot of....bells but
for DIY Composition it works.

I don’t stay virtual (MIDI) very long. I Commit as I like.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:53 PM

I couldn't agree more with the OP. I still can't believe we can't split a MIDI region containing MIDI notes crossing the edit line without notes disappearing. For 8 years I've made posts about this. In Logic a prompt arises: "Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split?" Is that so hard?

If you want to edit large regions of audio and MIDI at the same time, forget about it. You will lose any MIDI note that traverses the edit selection line. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!

AVID: how many more years do we have to wait before we get this simple feature addition to MIDI editing??