Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2024, 08:55 PM

Default Playback engine sample rate

I have pro tools sessions that need opening.
I was using my old small motu interface but now I've switched to a different interface, and I guess I was working in those sessions on old interface with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz.
Now with my new interface I guess it is working off of 48kHz.
So, whenever I open my sessions, it won't open and says "The current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 44.1 kHz.
I really would rather leave this interface on what it's on by default that being 48 kHz..
So is there a way to change something around within pro tools in order to be able to open these sessions without changing the sample rate of the interface.
Basically the sessions need to be changed to open in 48 kHz I guess...

Pro tools 12
Dell XPS 17 I9 64gb RAM
Old 02-03-2024, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Playback engine sample rate

Make a new empty session at 48k. Use Import Session Data to import tracks from the 44.1 session, and it'll sample rate convert it to 48.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-03-2024, 10:57 PM

Lets fix the underlying problem. Your interface likely supports 44.1 kHz (and 48 kHz and other) sample rates but is likely not doing so because you have the interface open with some other software or Windows itself at a different sample rate.

You should have interfaces exclusively dedicated to Pro Tools with all other Windows apps and Windows sound itself set to use a different interfaces, like the PC sound card/motherboard sound in the PC.

Many interface ASIO drivers are not multi-client, or even if they claim they are multi-client will have problems (besides just setting the sample rate in conflicts like this... and Pro Tools itself does not do well when there are these conflicts, but that's partially because there is no high-level standard way to resolve these conflicts).

Some really good ASIO drivers/interfaces like from RME will work OK in multi-client use, but even there it's best to use them exclusively unless really needed to be shared.

(Also check the interface is not externally clocked at the wrong sample rate, if you are clocking externally. What happens in that case depends on the interface/driver as well.)

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-03-2024 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:56 AM

EGS - I meant to say before I forgot.
That's actually what I've been doing is importing the session data into a new session and it's worked well before.
I get scared doing that cause the possibility of losing audio files or anything in the session by deleting the old session while keeping the new one.
I've been having problems with opening sessions and all of a sudden the session is missing audio files and every time I open a session that window pops up "Missing Files" and you can choose "Automatically Find & Relink" etc. I'm sure you've probably seen that before...
Then I have to keep looking around for the audio files that it's missing because the automatically find & relink doesn't seem to work sometimes.
It doesn't make any sense cause it's not like I'm going in myself and deleting audio files from the inner folders...
But that's another story.

And now for some reason when I'm importing the session data to make a new session that works with the sample rate the tracks aren't coming in right.
It's importing all the tracks with the name and everything, but everything is all scrambled up within the new session like tempos are in different place and the guitar clips aren't matching up the drums. It's whack.
This is just really inconvenient as I have over like 100's of sessions and that's just way too much time to be having to do this with every session. I wouldn't mind just making the new sessions by importing data over but then now everything's all scrambled up. ha

Darryl Ramm - You're making it sound like there's something wrong with my setup. lol. Shouldn't be too much of a problem having i9 64gb RAM and an Axe-FX III. I looked in the system sound settings on the computer and the in and out are set to the axe. I don't think this thing can be set to 44.1 because in the format option there only 48kHz. DVD quality or Studio Quality. Kinda lost and overwhelmed at this point. I looked everywhere within the axe to change it to 44.1 I don't think it does that, but I don't even want to do that if it did cause that's how it came.
Other than all that everything does work when I have my sessions... but how would you explain what I said up top ^ Like I said I don't have a problem importing session data to make a new session but why are the tracks coming in scrambled?..
I do get what you're saying though basically I would have to change my interface to 44.1 kHz in order to open those 44.1 kHz sessions but being I guess I can't change that and stuck with 48 kHz.
Before I would import session data for a new session, and it worked but now it's all scrambled. Just my luck.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-name-is-thanos View Post
Darryl Ramm - You're making it sound like there's something wrong with my setup. lol. Shouldn't be too much of a problem having i9 64gb RAM and an Axe-FX III. I looked in the system sound settings on the computer and the in and out are set to the axe. I don't think this thing can be set to 44.1 because in the format option there only 48kHz. DVD quality or Studio Quality. Kinda lost and overwhelmed at this point. I looked everywhere within the axe to change it to 44.1 I don't think it does that, but I don't even want to do that if it did cause that's how it came.
Other than all that everything does work when I have my sessions... but how would you explain what I said up top ^ Like I said I don't have a problem importing session data to make a new session but why are the tracks coming in scrambled?..
I do get what you're saying though basically I would have to change my interface to 44.1 kHz in order to open those 44.1 kHz sessions but being I guess I can't change that and stuck with 48 kHz.
Before I would import session data for a new session, and it worked but now it's all scrambled. Just my luck.
Uh nope in this case you are dead correct. Since you did not mention the interface before I was assuming you have the most common cause of this problem. And it's not just having stuff set up wrong, its so easy for stuff to grab an interface without users realizing. And then compound that with stuff working differently depending on apps and drivers. etc. Sometimes stuff works, or works for some users and not others, etc. so this almost always worth checking... unless cough you know you actually have an interface that only works at 48kHz.

But yes in this case Fractal products only run at 48 kHz on Windows or Mac, both as a USB interface, and their external digital AES/EBU etc. only supports 48kHz. I love my Fractal gear but this is a bit of a PITA, but if you can just run at 48kHz then you'll be set after converting your existing session content.

Technical digression: BTW since I normally work at 96kHz I run the Fractal boxes AES/EBU in and out through an RME ADI-192DD AES/EBU to ADAT converter box that does sample rate conversion, then ultimately over MADI to interfaces running at 96 kHz. Love those ADI-192DD boxes, if you need to work at different sample rates and have ADAT I/O they are a neat option--findable fairly cheap used for what you get. Or if you have an interface that does sample rate conversion on AES/EBU or S/PDIF, you can just run the Fractal into that, but most interfaces do not. Some Motu interfaces do sample rate conversion so may be worth checking out the doc for your Motu interface if it has AES/EBU or S/PDIF, and you want to hang the Fractal off that to get sample rate flexibility. But if all you need is the fractal box for I/O and are happy at 48 kHz then just use that (and still good to check that Windows and other apps are not also trying to use the interface to avoid other problems).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-04-2024 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:35 AM

O cool. I'll probably stick with what I got but like I said I have no problem with importing session data into new sessions for the hundreds of sessions I do have.
But importing the session data, do you know what would be causing the tracks to be coming in scrambled and tempos, guitar clips, and midi clips out of place?
My sessions are not like how they're coming in. Like the song should be starting on bar 2 but it's all sitting at like bar 1802 and the tempos are all in the wrong place throwing everything off.
Technically I would have to manually move everything and reset the tempos and clips to where they're supposed to be. Just way to time consuming. But if that's what I have to do... thanks
Old 02-04-2024, 02:31 AM

Have you tried doing a File>Save Session Copy In, and specify the new sample rate there and make sure you check all the options needed in that dialog panel. What you get there is probably it and you'll have to do any other cleanup. If there are problems with things moving around you can try changing tracks from sample to tick based etc. before doing the Save Session Copy In and see if that makes a difference. I have not done this with anything real in ages so others may have better ideas.