Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Reaper rewire latency into protools

If you do not try to eliminate the suggestions given as not the cause, how will you ever know?

REAPER allows you to set buffer sizes and assign the number of CORES despite being slaved in rewire..

This is why its probably been hard for you to get a response from anyone else. That and well....this is a Pro Tools forum. Did you try heading over to the REAPER forums to see if anyone had similar issue?
Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadarchitect View Post
If you do not try to eliminate the suggestions given as not the cause, how will you ever know?

REAPER allows you to set buffer sizes and assign the number of CORES despite being slaved in rewire..

This is why its probably been hard for you to get a response from anyone else. That and well....this is a Pro Tools forum. Did you try heading over to the REAPER forums to see if anyone had similar issue?
Yes brotha I did, I am discussing this right now in Reaper's forum....
I don;t understand something , I see that reaper changes buffer sizes accordingly when I change it in PT... so visually they are in the same buffer size
...but sonically reaper is like 40ms behind, which is very bothersome for me....

What else can I do, I have tried changing everything related to buffer settings in the preferences, closing reaper and then reopen it but nothing.....

Something to notice:
The lower I set the buffer size in PT, the more in synch Reaper is (less behind)!
(ummm??nteresting)

Thanks a lot, ....
Old 10-29-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam View Post

Something to notice:
The lower I set the buffer size in PT, the more in synch Reaper is (less behind)!
(ummm??nteresting)

Thanks a lot, ....
That is interesting. What buffer setting are you using while sequencing in PT?

FWIW: There just aren't many issues with Reaper ReWire beyond setup/routing. 99% of the info you find on the subject is regarding setup, and little on troubleshooting because once setup properly, it works.

The kicker in your case is you stated that it works sometimes, then goes back to being out of sync. Not sure what could be causing the inconsistency.

I tried to create the issue. All I came up with is: If record is also enabled on the Reaper transport, when you record the MIDI in PT then there is of course a MIDI region recorded in both DAWs. When played back the regions are out of sync. However, both regions playing back created a doubling effect. You did not describe the latter, so, there goes that idea.

I'll keep trying things as I get time, and hopefully we can get this working.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
That is interesting. What buffer setting are you using while sequencing in PT?

FWIW: There just aren't many issues with Reaper ReWire beyond setup/routing. 99% of the info you find on the subject is regarding setup, and little on troubleshooting because once setup properly, it works.

The kicker in your case is you stated that it works sometimes, then goes back to being out of sync. Not sure what could be causing the inconsistency.

I tried to create the issue. All I came up with is: If record is also enabled on the Reaper transport, when you record the MIDI in PT then there is of course a MIDI region recorded in both DAWs. When played back the regions are out of sync. However, both regions playing back created a doubling effect. You did not describe the latter, so, there goes that idea.

I'll keep trying things as I get time, and hopefully we can get this working.
Exactly, that s how I do the Test, either the way you just described (I hear the Double Effect) or....for example While rewire,
-I instantiate the same drum plugin one in Reaper and one in protools at the same time,
-record enabled the one in PT and the one in Reaper (with rewire output to PT) at the same time and play with my controller,
-when played i can hear the double effect (with buffer size in 1024), if I lower the buffer size that double effect calms down but a phasing is what I hear..
-If I do the same in cubase i can hear both plugins in perfect phase no matter what buffer size is set..

I mostly use 512 buffer size to secuence in PT, but like to leave it in 1024 for everything else..

Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Exactly, that s how I do the Test, either the way you just described (I hear the Double Effect) or....for example While rewire,
-I instantiate the same drum plugin one in Reaper and one in protools at the same time,
-record enabled the one in PT and the one in Reaper (with rewire output to PT) at the same time and play with my controller,
-when played i can hear the double effect (with buffer size in 1024), if I lower the buffer size that double effect calms down but a phasing is what I hear..
-If I do the same in cubase i can hear both plugins in perfect phase no matter what buffer size is set..

I mostly use 512 buffer size to secuence in PT, but like to leave it in 1024 for everything else..

Thanks
Now we're getting somewhere. You are only having this issue with a test that involves having the VI instantiated in both DAWs (which is not the proper setup). Otherwise with the proper setup, according to the tutorial videos, there is no doubling or out of sync effect.

I think Cubase automatically compensates for latency from MIDI events triggered through an external synth. For DAWs that don't, the larger the hardware buffer, the larger the latency. However a lower buffer does not necessarily cause the signals to be in sync, which is what you are describing.

Try this in PT:

Go to Event

Select MIDI OFFset

When the menu pops up, set Sample Offset for the respective MIDI track to i.e. -256. Set it either up or down until the signals are in sync.

Keep in mind that only playback is affected by the offset; the MIDI notes are not affected. Also, in most cases with the normal setup (that does not include the VI being instantiated and playing MIDI data in both DAWs) any MIDI data in PT that is off is not noticeable enough to be an issue.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Let me clear something up, I am NOT only having this issue with VI's instantiated in both programs, I just do that for a test.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Reaper is behind the CLICK (behind the grid) in PT, and that when I play VI's (instantiated in Reaper) with my midi controller, the latency is GREATER than the buffer size setting in PT...

Meaning that it is not the doubling effect that affects me, it's the extra latency added by Reaper.

Anyway... I will try what you told me, but I don't have much hope with offset settings... I don't want PT to be in synch with Reaper's latency, I want Reaper to by in synch with PT's buffer size.

Thanks a lot for your concern, i ll let you know
Old 10-30-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Let me clear something up, I am NOT only having this issue with VI's instantiated in both programs, I just do that for a test.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Reaper is behind the CLICK (behind the grid) in PT, and that when I play VI's (instantiated in Reaper) with my midi controller, the latency is GREATER than the buffer size setting in PT...

Meaning that it is not the doubling effect that affects me, it's the extra latency added by Reaper.

Anyway... I will try what you told me, but I don't have much hope with offset settings... I don't want PT to be in synch with Reaper's latency, I want Reaper to by in synch with PT's buffer size.

Thanks a lot for your concern, i ll let you know
OK.

Referencing your test is relevant, however, because the signals being out of sync only happens in PT not Cubase, which could point to MIDI offsetting in PT.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 PM

Maybe I'm not catching everything, but could it be this: Reaper automatically adjusts for your buffer and plugin latency when you use it by itself, so when you play a reaper file, you will see the midi info going into the plugin early, and you will hear it synched up correctly. Since ProTools doesn't send the midi data early to Reaper to offset the latency of the plugins and the buffer, what you end up with is the midi data being sent at the right time, but the audio playing back later. Even if ProTools could adjust for latency within the instrument plugins (which it can't in v8), I don't know if it would know what the latency is, since the plugins for your instrument are hosted in Reaper.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
Maybe I'm not catching everything, but could it be this: Reaper automatically adjusts for your buffer and plugin latency when you use it by itself, so when you play a reaper file, you will see the midi info going into the plugin early, and you will hear it synched up correctly. Since ProTools doesn't send the midi data early to Reaper to offset the latency of the plugins and the buffer, what you end up with is the midi data being sent at the right time, but the audio playing back later. Even if ProTools could adjust for latency within the instrument plugins (which it can't in v8), I don't know if it would know what the latency is, since the plugins for your instrument are hosted in Reaper.
Here's where it get's weird to me: I made the tutorial videos on M-Powered 8 and Reaper 3. The only tweak to Reaper's preferences was related to how channels are displayed. Everything else was set to default. The two DAWs were perfectly in sync. Now, I'm also using PT 9 and Reaper 4... same setup, same results.

For the OP, I don't know how it works properly in Cubase all the time, but not PT. As he stated, it worked in PT then got out of sync. Maybe it's something with the audio interface interaction with Reaper ReWire and PT.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 PM

Thank you all for your concern!

Spenner, i made the test you told me with the midi Offset.
With midi offset in -950, I can get the play back of reaper VI's to be in synch with the click in PT, but only in playback. .. meaning that I still have the extra latency when playing the VI's with my keyboard controller, which I can't tolerate...

Thanks