Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Rug on Wall

Any suggestions on putting up carpet on wall?
There is this cheap decent looking carpet
at home depot I want to put up on two of
my studio walls. Not sure how To secure it
up there? GLUE?

any help, comments here.
i refuse to pay the high prices of acoustic foam,
since I can get this carpet for $50 bucks new.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Rug on Wall

Screw a 2X4 into the ceiling joists along the perimeter of the room, then staple the carpet to it. Works fine here.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:53 PM

I would mount rings in the corners and hang it, Using serious screws straight into studs. Then you can always pull it if you need to move or change the color! I'm not positive that it would work acoustically, but I can't see any reason why this wouldn't have the same effect as glueing it..

Like I said, I'm not sure if it will work the way acoustic foam does. I'm just the hardware guy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
-Olaf
Old 06-09-2003, 04:34 PM

Putting rug on the walls is a fire hazard and illegal for architects, or any other home modeling service to do. i dont know if its illegal for home owners to do it, but its a massive firehazard. If a spark catches any part of that rug, the fire burns upwards and engulfs the carpet in seconds.

i would not recommend it, nor eggcrate, purchase some fireproof foam. i would hate to see another club incident.

Christian
Old 06-09-2003, 07:38 PM

Have you ever watched that show, trading spaces?
They hang fabric on whole walls, made of silks..
That seems more fire hazard-iss?
Old 06-09-2003, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crs117:
If a spark catches any part of that rug, the first burns upwards and engulfs the carpet in seconds.

Christian
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah i would say thats a bit of an exageration. maybe so if you soak the carpet in gasoline first. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ever drop a cigarette on your rug? thats never instantly set my house ablaze. fireproof foam is probably safer. . . at least you could dig it out of the burned up drywall and re-use it if there was ever a fire.

if you do hang carpet, just remember that glue is pretty permanent. patches and paint will be needed to fix the wall upon removal.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:28 PM

i corrected my post, i meant to say that the flame burns up and if the rug is verticle anything above the spot that is lit will catch really quickly. My friend is an interior decorator and when i asked about doing this she told me about how a college professor demonstrated this issue in a lab. She said it was against architectural code books.

8MM when the rug is on the floor the fire will not burn upwards through the rug as if it is verticle.

Christian
Old 06-09-2003, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crs117:
i corrected my post, i meant to say that the flame burns up and if the rug is verticle anything above the spot that is lit will catch really quickly. My friend is an interior decorator and when i asked about doing this she told me about how a college professor demonstrated this issue in a lab. She said it was against architectural code books.

8MM when the rug is on the floor the fire will not burn upwards through the rug as if it is verticle.

Christian
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">fire is a strange animal, it reacts differently in different situations. the electrical fire at my studio toasted the drywall all of the boxes and papers that were near it, and the smoke and heat destroyed all my gear, but the carpet on the wall right next to it was untouched. that was some d@mn good carpet! i will tell you this however, NEVER use an extension cord with an a/c unit. i can tell you for sure that is a potential fire hazzard!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:19 PM

Quote:
She said it was against architectural code books.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not.
It would be like putting your halogen torche' light against your window curtains, turning it on high and going out to throw back a few beers. Not the brightest thing one could do, but certainly not illegal. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Homedepot has tackstrip 3 for $2. screw this into the studs with 1 5/8" screws and hang the carpet on this. This allows you to easily adjust the carpet for plumb and level as you like.
If your willing to drop $50, buy a good looking peice of semi-heavy fabric, a can of 3M spray adhesive and a peice of 1 1/2" cotton or poly batting. Test the adhesive on a corner of the fabric. Some times it will change the color of the fabric. If it's cool, spray the fabric and afix the batting, than hang in the same fashion on the tack strip. You can buy different densities of batting and with the fabric it will be a far superior acoustical treatment to a rug. Functional art [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
As much time as we spend kicking around our dream studios, we should make them as comfortable as we can afford.

Architect, Residental and Commercial builder of 25 years
Old 06-09-2003, 10:52 PM

[quote]Originally posted by rdesigns:
Quote:
If your willing to drop $50, buy a good looking peice of semi-heavy fabric, a can of 3M spray adhesive and a peice of 1 1/2" cotton or poly batting. Test the adhesive on a corner of the fabric. Some times it will change the color of the fabric. If it's cool, spray the fabric and afix the batting, than hang in the same fashion on the tack strip. You can buy different densities of batting and with the fabric it will be a far superior acoustical treatment to a rug. Functional art [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hey i really like that idea! it looks nice, its light, and its functional. carpet is heavy as a m/f when you are trying to hang it on a wall, and it always looks like, well, a piece of carpet hanging on the wall. . . i did a quick search for polly batting and all i found were Nick Polly batting Statistics. then i tried poly batting. . . [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]