Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM

Default Pro Tools 11 Help needed

I'm new to pro tools and so far, things have been going very well up until about 2 days ago. I wanted to create a fade-in for one of my track sections and I know that you have to be in the waveform view to do this, but I can't see the waveform view option under the instrument track view options. I also can't create fades from the edit menu. Please help!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Help needed

FYI, im running on a 2013 iMac with 16gb ram and a 1tb fusion hard drive
Old 10-31-2013, 04:38 PM

I believe you need to print your instrument to an audio track or use automation on your instrument track to make fade. I could be totally wrong. Someone else will chime in. Hang tight.

Disk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 PM

Also reading the manual doesn't hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 10-31-2013, 05:11 PM

Yeah i've read the manual and i looked it up and from what i can see, you're right about the audio track part but now im having an error message that says the output path is already in use when i try to make the insert for my audio track the instrument track. Any more advice?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:13 AM

Maybe, delete the audio track,
output of instrument track : set to "new track",
choose "audio track" in the popup menu.

Or, create a new bus in the I/O setup, call it "Rec Instr" (whatever),
instrument track , output to "Rec Instr"
audio track , input set to "Rec Instr" , output to the normal master out, input monitoring on , rec enabled.

Or, like Spinning Disk suggested :
instrument track view set to audio volume,
add a breakpoint, where the fade should end (safety, to preserve the rest of the volume line)
draw with pencil tool (freehand) a fade from where it should start to just before the added safety breakpoint, while imitating a parabolic fade. Thin automation thereafter.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060

Last edited by joachim; 11-01-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: add on
Old 11-01-2013, 11:21 AM

Could that be similar to the error one might get if they are using an older version of an audio driver, like maybe ASIO4ALL, and the system output device (app running speakers) is being "used" by an open browser pointing to YouTube or the system audio is running?

As far as the manual thing, I was having problems with lock up as well. Two machines, and just 2 Avid PDFs. I updated adobe and the lock up went buh-bye.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.adler97 View Post
I'm new to pro tools and so far, things have been going very well up until about 2 days ago. I wanted to create a fade-in for one of my track sections and I know that you have to be in the waveform view to do this, but I can't see the waveform view option under the instrument track view options. I also can't create fades from the edit menu. Please help!!!
You can only see the waveform until you actually have one. Instrument tracks are instruments, not audio, until you create audio out of the instrument. Before that it is only realtime instrument.

So if you want to create a fade to that realtime instrument, you need to do it using AUTOMATION. First you need to set the track automation to READ which means that the fader obeys your instructions. Then you need to go to edit window, change that track view to VOLUME, and draw that fadein to the fader volume. Once done, your instrument track will move that fader the way you like, and it is like a fade.

But if you're done with the instrument, you could print it out to audio, and then you would see the waveform and could do the traditional fade.