Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2013, 04:49 AM

Default new plugin version versus updated old plugin

If a developer says they're going to support AAX 64 bit but it will be in a new version of said plug (I'm talking a whole number version and not a dot release) with new features besides AAX 64 bit would you jump on it right away? I'm not asking about the monetary aspect as I'm sure we all realize developers are not in the charity business and have to put food on the table. I'm asking from the point of view of buying what would essentially be a whole new product with possibly a whole raft of new bugs to go with the new features?

Also let me put this in the decision matrix - what if it's one of your go-to plugs that you absolutely need? Would you jump on it right away or wait a dot release or two to get the inevitable bugs out? I know no software is completely bug free but I'm talking bugs that would prevent full use in PT11?

Or would you just go with VEPro and not update said plug?

QAPLA!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:41 AM

Default Re: new plugin version versus updated old plugin

I don't care about the version number. It can be V1 or V10 as long as newer versions open up old sessions and old features stay intact. Usually plugin companies do not charge for version updates, but certain technological transitions such as what we're going through with this AAX thing justify update fee. In my opinion anyway. But those have been rare situations. Last big one was jump from OS9 to OSX and if someone remembers, *THAT* was crazy.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Default Re: new plugin version versus updated old plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I don't care about the version number. It can be V1 or V10 as long as newer versions open up old sessions and old features stay intact. Usually plugin companies do not charge for version updates, but certain technological transitions such as what we're going through with this AAX thing justify update fee. In my opinion anyway. But those have been rare situations. Last big one was jump from OS9 to OSX and if someone remembers, *THAT* was crazy.
I really don't care either about version numbers as such but it's just that a developer when they have a new version (say like NI did with Battery 3 to Battery 4 update or any of their other whole version number updates) they also charge for it which I also don't have a problem with. I have never known a company to give away free a whole version number update (grace period maybe but not a blanket whole version number update). Of course it's important you can run older projects with the newer version plug but at least in Battery 4 NI dropped almost all the acoustic kits so you'd still have to have Battery 3. FYI Battery 4 was when NI made Battery AAX compatible.

You totally missed the point I was trying to make and that is would you jump on a whole new version number update given that there's almost always problems with the first release of any what is essentially a new product or wait for a more stable release while possibly running VEPro and run the old version inside PT11?

QAPLA!