Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2022, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Help with UnWrap Stereo to 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Can I ask a stupid question? Does NO ONE do any panning on foley... either footsteps, props, etc.? I have spent TONS of time so far matching action on screen with what the foley guys did. It makes a huge difference to me as I sit there and watch, but most viewers won't care... and it does take a lot of time automating all those moves.

Just curious!

Plenty of stuff has panned Foley. I love the way it is done in The Crown, as people come and go from those huge, cavernous palace rooms. It makes the whole thing feel more decadent.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Can I ask a stupid question? Does NO ONE do any panning on foley... either footsteps, props, etc.? I have spent TONS of time so far matching action on screen with what the foley guys did. It makes a huge difference to me as I sit there and watch, but most viewers won't care... and it does take a lot of time automating all those moves.

Just curious!
Of course we pan Foley! You were in a hurry and asked for advice.
I don't like the way Dialog Sounds when it's been upmixed.
I thought that you are making a compromise since your client doesn't want to pay to mix it in 5.1.
We mix everything Immersive and deliver to the client a Dolby Atmos Home Theater Mix and 5.1, Stereo and Mono composites along with Stems of Dialog, Music and SFX. Just trying to assist you getting your mix out the door.
To me there isn't any reason not to mix in at least 5.1 . Our templates are made to give the client anything they need even if they don't know it at the time of the deliverables.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:29 AM

Thanks again, and I should've setup my question a little better. I'm 80% through all of the foley and would've done that anyway for the stereo mix... the 5.1 option just came up the last week or so and I needed a quick way to deal with Music/BGs, etc.

Halo will be great and, next time, we'll make sure it gets to a stage to mix. I was only called into this project because some of my underling staff had dropped the ball and the producer was freaking out.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:30 AM

Some people will pan foley, but it has to be done intentionally. If you are panning foley for someone who is talking - you need to pan both and panning dialogue can get pretty odd pretty fast. For busy scenes where there is tons going on panning foley can help set a space.

Quote:

Just curious!
Denver, CO