Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2017, 12:06 PM

Default OSX High Sierra and Carbon framework & 32Lives!

Just got an email from Sound Radix and their plugins are ready for High Sierra. However it's not all good news as 32Lives! will no longer work because Apple deprecated (their words not mine) Carbon. Quoted from the email:
'However, with this update, it appears that Apple has deprecated support for the Carbon framework which means older plug-ins using this technology can no longer display their user interface. Therefore we strongly recommend our 32 Lives users do NOT upgrade to macOS High Sierra at this time.'

I suspect this is not the only plugin or utility to have this issue.

QAPLA!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:05 PM

Default Re: OSX High Sierra and Carbon framework & 32Lives!

Wow, you’ve just said it all. Everything was fine for me this week, until I opened a session and released that I couldn’t see plugin interface, do you think it’s also the case in 32lives v2? I’ve been using 1.05 without any issues so far but now that I’m on high sierra I’m stocked and need this sorted ASAP.

Basically I have no backup on Sierra, or anything, I have 2 external hard drive for library, sessions, do I need to get another one for back up only+ try to go back to high Sierra?

If getting the newest version of 32 lives helps I’m getting it but I can’t do both unfortunately
Old 09-30-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawer View Post
Wow, you’ve just said it all. Everything was fine for me this week, until I opened a session and released that I couldn’t see plugin interface, do you think it’s also the case in 32lives v2? I’ve been using 1.05 without any issues so far but now that I’m on high sierra I’m stocked and need this sorted ASAP.

Basically I have no backup on Sierra, or anything, I have 2 external hard drive for library, sessions, do I need to get another one for back up only+ try to go back to high Sierra?

If getting the newest version of 32 lives helps I’m getting it but I can’t do both unfortunately
I have a drive that has nothing but OSX backups on it. 4 terabyte drive split into 4 partitions - one for OSX 10.8.5 clones, one for OSX 10.9.5 clones, one for OSX 10.10.5 clones and one for open use at the moment. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for making my clones and it will make a rescue partition if you want; further all my clones are bootable clones. Cheapest insurance you will ever buy (except for ZDT on your iLok) - hard drives are inexpensive and so is CCC. And you can schedule clones to happen automatically if you want but I do mine manually on a regular basis.

Having those clones has saved me on many an occassion from both my own stupidity and that of developers (even Apple).

QAPLA!
Old 09-30-2017, 05:35 AM

Well, here comes the new macOS release DUC entertainment.....

Not bothering to make a bootable clone of a system before upgrading is a really bad decision.

Doing that on an upgrade where the boot file system (if on SSD) is being destructively upgraded to the new APFS with no inherent ability to undo that, would be a bat**** crazy decision.

Doing an in-situ upgrade of OS X may be a poor decision. It's often better to do a full clean install. Or at least be able to roll back from a failed in-situ upgrade and then try the clean install.

Rushing to be on a new OS release if you don't understand the risks and can't manage stuff like making bootable clone backups is a really bad decision.

Rushing to be on a new OS release that (at least a far as I can see) provides no real benefit to Pro Tools users, makes that an even worse decision.

But hey somebody has to provide the entertainment on DUC.

But great to see feedback from folks *carefully* testing stuff and reporting success or failure. BTW Adobe currently has compatibility issues with some of their Creative Cloud apps on High Sierra (which will keep me off it until solved). Just another reminder that things can break.).

For the many folks who are being careful and making bootable clones (usually with Creative Cloner) before carefully testing out High Sierra these blog posts from the Creative Clone developers may be useful: https://bombich.com/blog