Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 04:14 AM

Default My Mackie Woes

Well, this is a bit off topic, but I wanted to see if anyone here could help me out.

I've got a Mackie 1402VLZ-Pro mixer and I'm trying to create headphone mixes from the two Aux sends. I'm only using the 4 stereo channels to make these mixes. I'm getting plenty of signal for a good headphone mix. But One problem, it's only in the left side! I read in the manual that for some purposes you can actually send the left signal with Aux 1 and the right signal with Aux 2. Now, that seems sort of dumb to me, but whatever. The idea is that a mono signal should come out from these outputs, so why is the signal only in the left headphone?

Now, I'm sort of a rookie to all this, but the only logical explanation can be found in the signal 'conversion'.
You can take a stereo signal, and by connecting only the left side, it will be come mono.
But In my case, I'm taking a mono signal and putting it into a stereo source, my headphones!

So I guess my question is: what the hell is going on?

I want a mono, or hell even better, a stereo signal from the Aux send 1 and 2. But now that I know that you can't get a stereo mix from a mono output, how can I get the signal to be in both outputs of my headphones and not just in the left.

Does anyone understand me?!

Thanks for any advice!
- Andy
Old 06-04-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Re: My Mackie Woes

Use the mono inputs.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:28 PM

because the mono jack on your 1202 only contacts the left input (tip) of the headphone connector. The right input (ring) is either grounded out or floating. Get a 1/4" stereo to mono adapter from Radio shack. make sure that the male end of it is mono. That will ensure that you get the signal to both sides.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:33 AM

Well, I'm using the mono inputs for preamps into my system. So that's my problem. But even if I did use those mono inputs, that still doesnt explain why I'm getting a left-only signal form the AUX out! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

- Andy