Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2009, 11:11 AM

Default recorded midi is playing different instrument

Hi, new to the site and Pro tools le8
i recorded a midi bass track from my trition into the midi editor, notes show up but no sound unless i turn on trition and pick the same bass sound, otherwise if piano is picked on trition it will play that. Do i need to open up an Instument tk as well to record the actual bass sound?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:05 PM

Default Re: recorded midi is playing different instrument

If you are wanting that bass sound to be recorded as audio you would use an Audio Track.

filosofem
Old 04-03-2009, 01:11 AM

If you want audio then connect the stereo line outs to two of your inputs and record it as you would a guitar vocal etc.

It's also worth recording the midi, just in case you need make some adjustments without throwing the take. Also once you have the midi, the world is your oyster as far as VI's and sounds go.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:24 PM

i really like the midi take i did and want to keep it,but still i cannot hear it. I do understand how to record midi on an audio tk but i really like working the the bass in the midi tk. The midi bass track shoud work and sound indenpendently whether or not the trition is on, right?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 AM

The triton is two things in this setup - the midi controller and the sound generator. Once you record the midi into a track in PT, you don't need the triton to act as a controller - but you do still need a sound generator. MIDI has NO audio information, it is strictly instructions on how to recreate the same performance. At some point you will have to create an audio track to record the sound from the triton into your session so the actual audio from the sound generator (triton) exists as samples on the harddrive.
OSX 10.5.5, PTLE 8
Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 AM

do i have to record a specific sound into the session from the triton such as a Bass sound if that is what i'm using?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 PM

Only when you are recording the audio track - the midi/instrument track could care less. You can start out recording one bass and switch to a completely different instrument later.

This also presents a management issue - don't forget (notate) which instrument you used or you could run into a big headache later.
OSX 10.5.5, PTLE 8
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Burk View Post
This also presents a management issue - don't forget (notate) which instrument you used or you could run into a big headache later.
Program Change is good for that.

filosofem
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 AM

So what i'm learning is: Midi data does not produce sound but just routes the positions of notes and that is why you could select different virtual instruments after i have recorded the notes? i think i understand this for the virtual instruments. but once i have recorded a bass sound from an external device such as the triton, and then turned if off, i have to be able to work with that sound and it is not there, so where is it if the midi data is not recording the sound, and only the notes i hit on the keyboard? this is somewhat confusing, sorry.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:23 AM

With local control off on the Triton, it is like 2 completely separate devices:

The keyboard controller

The synth engine

When you record MIDI into a MIDI track or an Inst track, you can set your source (the triton keyboard in your case) and destination separately. The destination can be any MIDI instrument that is currently on-line: Virtual instruments or Hardware Synths. If your MIDI track has the triton set as it's destination, then it has to be ON for it to accept MIDI data (and thereby causing it to generate sound).

You can route the MIDI to any destination you want, though, so if you didn't record the audio from the triton, and it isn't available at the moment, then you can just insert a VI plugin on an AUX. As soon as you do that, it will be available in the list of MIDI destinations ("MIDI Output Selector" is it's real name I think)