Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Izotope Insight

Not from what I have been reading. It's all going to be based on the program loudness.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 AM

I like it but find it annoying that the loudness history resets when you close the plugin window during playback. I use windows configs to open and close stuff like that constantly during a mix and need the history to stay running in the background. Hopefully they fix it.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 AM

There is both bs 1770-1/2 in insight. DMm is bs 1770-1 in the version I have.

From what someone else said here, Europe is using Lufs while the ntas is still using Lkfs as the standard.

What that means in terms of using 1770 1or 2 I don't know.

Insight metering is just a difference in how the meters display values. Peak/rms is Dbfs
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
As of now (or from BS1770-2 & 3) LKFS & LUFS are the same thing. It used to be that in BS1770-1 (pre-gate) then Loudness (L) with K weighting filter (K) relative to digital full scale FS was different from EBU's LUFS courtesy the relative gate. EBU's LUFS implicitly uses the K weighting filter 'cos it's part of BS1770 (whichever version!) so they decided to call it 'Loudness Units' ala 'Volume Unit's and they had the relative gate.

Now with the latest BS1770-2/3 'LKFS' *is* gated so it's the same as LUFS.

For the moment, you should be using a BS1770-1 based meter (which is implicitly an ungated measurement)
Thanks.

So this was my question on another thread, with CALM coming shortly, no specs were given to anyone I know.

As currently, -24 LKFS +/- 2 is the standard, 1770 -1, what is the calm spec for the US?

Is it still -24 +/-2 but 1770-2? When I run my mixes at 1770-2, they are usually 1.5 LU's more than with 1770-1.

So if the magic number is -24, then I need to turn the mix down and the room up.

Luckily, my series is on a pay channel, so they don't have to follow the CALM act as far as I know.

But if I jump on another series that is, I'd like to start getting my references correct.

thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Just a heads up. If you're running the trial version, don't close the session with it active. On relaunch of the session the authorization window will put PT into an unrecoverable state.
Had to force quit, had a kernel panic, and restart and rebuild session by importing tracks. I guess this would make me buy it quicker.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedat View Post
Just a heads up. If you're running the trial version, don't close the session with it active. On relaunch of the session the authorization window will put PT into an unrecoverable state.
Had to force quit, had a kernel panic, and restart and rebuild session by importing tracks. I guess this would make me buy it quicker.
Thanks. BTW, you could have tried uninstalling Insight and re-launching the session?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedat View Post
I didn't have this issue. The trial version worked fine for me.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
Been testing it out for a few hours and seems right on the money compared to my Dolby Media Meter V1. I like being able to have the multitude of different metering options within the same window, particularly the history graph and large meter displays. It does however seem to add about 4 to 5 percentage points to my native processing usage.

Any other thoughts?
Nice metering package. I think they blew with the automation. Insight can generate an automation lane containing the Long Term LKFS (??). The automation should have been represented inverted as an offset from your reference LKFS level (as if it were a volume trim). For example, if -24LKFS is your target, if you exceed your target for a period and hit lets say -22 LKFS, the automation should be represented as -2dB (not +2dB) this way you could measure your show, paste the resulting automation into the trim volume on your grand master VCA and your good to go. If you choose you can use some of the automation for a few sections and delete the rest.Anyone know if there is a way to do this? Did I miss something?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Post View Post
Nice metering package. I think they blew with the automation. Insight can generate an automation lane containing the Long Term LKFS (??). The automation should have been represented inverted as an offset from your reference LKFS level (as if it were a volume trim). For example, if -24LKFS is your target, if you exceed your target for a period and hit lets say -22 LKFS, the automation should be represented as -2dB (not +2dB) this way you could measure your show, paste the resulting automation into the trim volume on your grand master VCA and your good to go. If you choose you can use some of the automation for a few sections and delete the rest.Anyone know if there is a way to do this? Did I miss something?
They should also put in a "don't write to undo-cue" option because currently while editing every over will fill your undo-cue with automation written events. If you play a loud sound in loop every round will create one undo-event if the level exceeds your settings.

Probably no way around that. But I highly recommend to turn off automating Insight while not mixing.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Probably no way around that. But I highly recommend to turn off automating Insight while not mixing.
In the PT preferences you can choose to ignore control values in the undo cue.
That might stop it.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app