Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM

Question Polish outdoor thunderstorm recording

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone did this in the past and wants to share some tips & tricks. Yesterday night I made a half an hour recording of a nice thunderstorm passing over with my Zoom H4n. This device is highly sensitive (the way I like) but of course catching a lot sounds as well I don't like that much. There are some noises in there from neighbours doing stuff, a car driving through the street etc, I want to reduce as much as possible. I tried some EQing but I think I need to learn a lot still to try and accomplish this.

Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Regards, Luc
i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 32Gb, Windows 7 Ulimate 64, 1x M.2 512 SSD, 1x Spinpoint F1 1TB, 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB, ProjectMix IO, Axiom Pro61, PreSonus Monitor Station,SM ProAudio Stage Buddy, KRK VXT6, AKG K271, SE220A, PT 12.4.0, AMT IEP, Omnisphere, Trilian, EWQL CCC, EWQL Spaces, Ministry Of Rock, Gypsy, Fab Four, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate, NI Maschine, ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials, Waves V9 Musician 1, Morphoder, CL4

Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Polish outdoor thunderstorm recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludia View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone did this in the past and wants to share some tips & tricks. Yesterday night I made a half an hour recording of a nice thunderstorm passing over with my Zoom H4n. This device is highly sensitive (the way I like) but of course catching a lot sounds as well I don't like that much. There are some noises in there from neighbours doing stuff, a car driving through the street etc, I want to reduce as much as possible. I tried some EQing but I think I need to learn a lot still to try and accomplish this.

Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Regards, Luc
I love thunderstorms also.
Izotope RX is what I use to get rid of unwanted sounds.
Did a recording last week outside.
The crickets got so loud in the recording you could not hear the speaker.
Izotope RX fixed it.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 AM

Often, you can cut out the odd noises(try SHUFFLE mode) and crossfade. The best bet is to record the storm at around 3AM so most other folks are sleeping(and not messing up your ambience). I got a nice surf recording with a stereo cassette recorder on the beach of Block Island at 4AM Too bad it was cassette....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 AM

Thanks Philip and Albee,

Unfortunatly I don't have the RX (I should look for a try-out version, if they have any). Anyways I followed your suggestion Albee. I did quite a lot of cuts with cross fades. That works pretty well to be honnest. At least I got rid of cars etc. I still had from time to time some harsh raindrops but those I could bring down using some EQ. Did some compression to bring out some far away rumbles. It's pretty good now. I left over with 13 minutes out of 35 minutes recording though LOL.

It's seems we are in for another thuderstorm tonight. I hope it is around 3AM this time instead of 9PM like yesterday. anyway I sure hope its not at 8.30PM because then we play the WC Soccer Final !!

Thanks again both for your input.
i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 32Gb, Windows 7 Ulimate 64, 1x M.2 512 SSD, 1x Spinpoint F1 1TB, 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB, ProjectMix IO, Axiom Pro61, PreSonus Monitor Station,SM ProAudio Stage Buddy, KRK VXT6, AKG K271, SE220A, PT 12.4.0, AMT IEP, Omnisphere, Trilian, EWQL CCC, EWQL Spaces, Ministry Of Rock, Gypsy, Fab Four, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate, NI Maschine, ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials, Waves V9 Musician 1, Morphoder, CL4