Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 09:55 AM

Default Audio Glitching in PT 2021

I recently upgraded to PT 2021 on my Mac - and now, when I insert audio from certain sources, I'm getting artifacting and little pops that AREN'T there on the recording, but show up when I put the audio into ProTools.

It only happens with SOME audio - stuff I've recorded myself, and one other VO person I've come across so far. Everything else seems totally fine.

I'm running PT2021 on Mac Monterey OS, but was having zero issues with it before. I tried increasing the buffer size, and that didn't help.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2021, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Audio Glitching in PT 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHart View Post
I recently upgraded to PT 2021 on my Mac - and now, when I insert audio from certain sources, I'm getting artifacting and little pops that AREN'T there on the recording, but show up when I put the audio into ProTools.

It only happens with SOME audio - stuff I've recorded myself, and one other VO person I've come across so far. Everything else seems totally fine.

I'm running PT2021 on Mac Monterey OS, but was having zero issues with it before. I tried increasing the buffer size, and that didn't help.
Any suggestions?
I have experienced this too. At first I thought it was running off PCIe SSD as this changed for me when I upgraded computers and had previously been running off HDD. However it's not on every session.

The other day I began scheduling Chronosync to create backups every 30 minutes due to a SSD failure and I've begun noticing that the playback glitches every time I get the Chronosync completion notification.

This doesn't explain why the previous glitches occurred but perhaps its a background process that causes it. Part of me suspects certain combinations of plugins too.

Still experimenting to try to find the cause/solution.

Forrester
Old 12-02-2021, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Audio Glitching in PT 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHart View Post

Any suggestions?
More info would help. Starting what exact version of Pro Tools 2021.

But lets start with when you say "insert audio" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean import an MP3? there appears to be issues in 2021.10 with MP3 imports causing click and pop artifacts. That's discussed on other threads you can find on DUC by searching... best to search using Google with a site: duc.avid.com qualifier.

If not importing MP3 then *exactly* what are you doing, with what format files, what interface, sample rate etc. If ignore errors is checked then uncheck it and leave it unchecked.

Do you see the pops/clicks in the audio wave form or not (I assume yes if the above issue). If not it's something else.

Still stuck, start at "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page. Make sure your systems is fully optimized, yes even if it worked perfectly OK before and start as with all troubleshooting by trashing prefs, then test starting with new empty sessions. And if not that then it's possibly plugins. Try removing all .aaxplugin files from the plugin folder and repeat in a test session.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-02-2021 at 05:39 PM.