Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 AM

Default What License Do I need to lock Avid MC5 with Pro Tools using Ethernet

I have a Video Satellite LE license So I can use a secondary PT LE station to play and lock the video to a TDM system.

But what License do I need to do the same thing but use a Avid MC5 station instead of a Pro TOols LE station. I can't seem to find it in the Store.

Is it called Avid video satellite? Is it possible to use my video satellite LE license for this? That would be too convenient I'd Bet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly
Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Default Re: What License Do I need to lock Avid MC5 with Pro Tools using Ethernet

I think I found it.. Of course when you go to the purchase part It just takes you to the online store. Which doesn't have anything labeled "Avid video Satellite"

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Video-Satellite/

All I can find on the online site is a Video Satellite LE product. Which mentions nothing about this license working for MC5 in the specifications.

Anyone got any ideas?

THanks kindly
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 AM

Default Re: What License Do I need to lock Avid MC5 with Pro Tools using Ethernet

I think it may be the same License for both uses. As I have read stuff labeled "Video Satellite" under the video satellite LE "Read ME" documents

Video Satellite LE Read Me v8.1 (PDF)
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v81_67879.pdf

In this document it speaks of using MC5 Not a Pro TOols LE system.

But this document was found under the Video Satellite LE page.

confusing but it would be sweet if I didn't have to buy another license.

kd
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM

I think mc will only run with vid sat, not vid sat LE

Cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 AM

It is a separate license from the Satellite LE, we have one for our MC 4.0.5 system. It was a box purchase, so I can't give any more direction than already provided regarding the Avid store.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks guys.

kd
Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Avid

Correct, Video Satellite is a boxed product and can be purchased from your local dealer. The reason for this is that the box includes an ilok pre-authorized for Video Satellite which must be connected to the Media Composer computer.
http://www.avid.com/us/products/Video-Satellite

Best,
Jordan Glasgow
Product Manager
Avid
Old 02-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info. yeah I saw its $1032 at our local dealer Kinda expensive compared to Video Satelite LE at $260

But with MC5 I would be able to open the video departments timelines over the edit share. That would be helpful for the shows that we do the online video for.

But If a client were to bring their own video As alot of them do for shows that we dont do the Online Edit. I don't like the fact that I would have to load (Ingest) it into MC5 as opposed to with PT LE I could just load it into the track with no ingesting time.

Im correct in this right If someone brings you a H264 or Mp4 you have to load those into Mc5 right? We would be using Mac Pros but is the load time long for say a half hour show? Anyone do that regularly?

thanks again

kd
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 PM

I'm on MC4. MC5 gives you some types of native codec playback, which I understand to avoid the huge transcode times during import. Not sure how it works, XDCam and a few others, I'm really not excited to upgrade with every release so I haven't used MC5.

Quote:
but is the load time long for say a half hour show? Anyone do that regularly?
Speaking about MC4, It depends very much on what codec in, what codec out. For SD, especially DV, imports are quite fast, like 10x realtime. For high def, it is way slow. Awful, no way to do it with a client breathing on your neck. Kills the whole idea. Not recommended. sux. don't go there. This afternoon, it took a little over 4 hours to import 53 minutes of ProRes HQ 1920x1080 29.97 into the Avid bin, using DNxHD145 to a 1080i|59.94 project. Obviously, this is processor dependent, but it is horribly slow no matter what you use. Be ready or find another solution. Sorry. I hate to say it because, if you CAN figure a way to deal with the obnoxiously long import times, the rest of your gig is very smooth. Avid Video Satellite, MC as a satellite, is just way cool and works brilliantly well. Except for the horribly slow import workflow, it is worth the cash outlay IMHO.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 PM

Ideally I should try and get both setup Satellite LE and video satellite. In three studios.

So they can all handle both video situations.

kd