Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2002, 07:17 PM

Default COMPRESSION when mastering question

i work with samples only, so more than likely they (the good ones) have been compressed, limited already to begin with......

now when i insert a ren. comp on the master fader, and i put it on a factory setting, i cant tell a difference. it sounds the same to me. infact sometimes (after messing around with the threshold) the song sounds better without compression on the master fader.....the compression makes it sound wimpy.....can i go without it? what should my compression settings be on my Ren. Comp if im mastering a very hard hitting techno song?
obviously i dont know what im doing, since everyone says compression should be adding xtra punch to a song.......to me it sounds like im choking the life out of it........and if i put it so it doesnt sound like its choking, then i cant tell wether its on there or not.....

can someone advise me on what my Ren. Comp should be set at for mastering a hard hitting techno track? damn, this audio thing is alot of work!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2002, 07:30 PM

Default Re: COMPRESSION when mastering question

I don't have the compressor, but I remember there was a good thread before.

Check this out.
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=24;t=016173
Old 11-29-2002, 07:44 PM

thanks dude, but ive read that one......they mostly bitch about the industry and the compression standard as of late......not really anything i can use for my situation.......
anyone that can direct me with the proper settings for my situation....that would be great.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:14 PM

mastering is hard. really hard. even knowing what kind of compresser is allusive. most mastering houses have "special" compressors well suited for mastering. but here's what i can tell about adding "punch." changing the threshold isn't going to do that much. sounds like you're squashing your mixes. basically what adjusting the threshold will do is smooth out all of your peaks until everything is at the same level, leaving it squashed. if you want to add punch, try adjusting the attack and release times. just play with it. fast attack, slow release. slow attack, fast release, etc. until you get something you like.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:33 AM

i suggest you should use a multiband compressor on the master fader.
if the original samples are already flat, why would you use a compressor for ?
i think it's best that you use a limiter/maximiser then.
greetings, tantejo
Old 11-30-2002, 04:50 AM

Also!
Don't fix what ain't broken ;-)

Cheers,
// JW

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 11-30-2002, 10:11 AM

Give this a try.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:48 AM

thanks, that makes sense. the samples are way compressed already, so compressing them more at the end was not making sense. just needed someone to justify this. thanks.

so ill just use the L1+, and maybe a touch of eq before that on the master fader.

* ok, so now the question turns to what is the loudest, beat thumping setting for the L1?
im trying the presets, and i actually like the "track slammer" one, but it seems to grunge out the bass i think. i even pull the triangle on the left side up on that setting, and it seems to get really loud that way......is this good to master the session with?
then i try the "16 bit master" setting, and i think that one is not loud enough....im not sure. what settings can i use to totally knock peoples socks off when the track comes on?
......but obviously be close to the safe zone?.....to avoid digital distortion, or what not.
im not traditional and all into dynamics.....im more new school, and just want to have the song kick ass like the standard club hits. (i dont care if those songs lack traditional dynamics......im all for the current track slamming trend.)
thanks for the help. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2002, 09:30 PM

Mr. Parker...your spiderness...give this a try.

Whenever I master for CD I insert the Ren EQ first on the master fader. This is used only as a leveling amp to balance channels and give me a good 0 level into the next plug-in, which is the Ren Compressor. That I set to a threshold of about -2.5, a ratio of 2:1 or less, a rather fast attack and release time (this I set by trial and error), and I make sure I'm getting a solid 0 gain out of the compressor to the next plug-in, the L1. I set the L1 for a threshold of -3.5, an out ceiling of -.4 and a release of 0.80, then quantize for 16 bits.

This gives me a nice, clean but phat and punchy sound and a hot level coming back from the CD. If things start sounding "squashed" to you, back off the Ren Compressor, but leave the L1 set as above.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:05 AM

thanks chico,
i have some quick questions from that last post...

on the ren. comp can u explain what a 2:1 ratio is? what is the exact visual setting for this 2:1 ratio on the ratio fader.............and what about the opto / warm / digital settings above? what should they be?

and on the L1, on the bottom right.....should it be set for digital or analog? what sounds better, i cant tell.

thanks again. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]