Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 10:56 AM

Default OT: DAT/DDS-4 tape storage/filing system?

I need a new solution for storage of about 500 4mm tapes (and the collection grows every month)

I currently have been using Bryco DATrax - I have about 12 of these and I have them floor to ceiling (double wide) on a wall, taking up valuable wall space (and it's not very attractive).

Bryco also makes the DSD-320 - it only holds 320 tapes, it's not cheap, and I already own the plastic inserts -- so unless I can cut a deal with Bryco... (and it's fairly ugly/basic looking - I have nice traditional wood furniture in my office - very traditional looking.)

I've searched the web for other vendors - I found Taperack.com and their stuff looks good, but it's also quite expensive...

What do you guys do for DAT libraries of this size? I am going to off-line about half of it (long-term storage) - but a good portion of it is stuff that on any given month, someone is going to hire me to do a project with something that's on one of these tapes... so it needs to be in my office. What would you suggest for a 300 tape 4mm library?

Thanks to anyone who can help me organize the madness.