Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 06:38 AM

Default Re: The Tea Room..

Hey Amigo..
Couldn't bear the absence any longer ?
welcome back...!
Great pix.. there is a guitar on that too..right ??
Quote:
didn't the dog ate your sticks too?
Sticks ? what are those for ?? Who needs to learn and practice when one could just draw in the Midi notes, or loop a few "borrowed" samples..
Real drums are old school

take care my friend..
jose

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-02-2006, 06:53 AM

Aaron,
Yes..done and will sound great. Still editing decisions remain, as my usual way of playing to new songs are somewhat unique..
Allow me to explain:
Not playin much anymore so my style is very basic, built on the many years of pro drumming experience gained long before some of you guys were born..
Secondly..I believe the very first initial idea/ feel ..to fit best most of times.
So..I mic up the kit according to the final sonic/part that enters my head as soon as I hear the song. Then..Just record 4-5 full, no punch passes with slightly differing approaches.
The whole tracking of my drums doesn't take more than an hour, ever.
Now..I'm sitting at home with headphones on and chopping together two versions of my parts to be presented to the guys in my band.
After they agree on one..I do half of the processing..some EQ, some dynamics..and a reinforcement layer of Drumagog kick & snr. Leave the final tweaks for the mix.

take care,
nigel

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-02-2006, 02:46 PM

Afternoon, will she's been and still is a nice sunny weekend here, I can feel Summer is on it's way. Just itching for a bit of surf.

Yeah I subscribe to that 'what comes first thought or feel' when playing, although stepping outside of the performance or zone to survey gives context and direction, that said, one also needs to know when not to be to clinical and dilly-dally. You say that you use Drumagog, how interesting, I haven't used it and I'm only assuming, but Lemix and MIDI? ...and if so, do you use a .wav or .aiff to MIDI Converter or am I way off base?

filosofem
Old 09-02-2006, 02:56 PM

My good man,
One day you'll need to make this NZ weather thing clear for all of us...
It's rainy, grey and windy here..summer is on the way out
Quote:
You say that you use Drumagog, how interesting, I haven't used it and I'm only assuming, but Lemix and MIDI? ...and if so, do you use a .wav or .aiff to MIDI Converter or am I way off base?

...Yes, Definitively off base. DG does NOT have to use Midi at all..plain old audio files of any sample rate or format are quite happily trigger-able. Being it a library//or as I use it..custom made ones. More often than not these are actually the same instrument off the same recording !! Consistent envelopes and control of attack, decay, and pitch are the reasons..at least for me.

be good,
fernando

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-02-2006, 04:36 PM

Hmmm... and with Drumagog do you process sample by sample or loop say the entire snare region and tweak the A.D.S.R. of the Envelop? Does it draw good timbre?

filosofem
Old 09-02-2006, 04:49 PM

OK, it's either the language barrier ( again..damned ) or I just didn't make it very clear.
Drumagog 4 is a VST plugin. It receives audio from the track it's inserted on, and uses very smart, intelligent and unique methods to output triggered audio from it's currently loaded "sample" bank on it's output. That's it..
I normally tweak envelopes in Wavelab..and store it in the DG "GOG" (it's own format) folder..

hah,
a

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-02-2006, 05:36 PM

...so if Drumagog triggers loaded samples that you have sampled yourself and you process these samples with Wavelab, what's drumagog for? Is it a way of rotating samples, say different recoreded snare hits and the like?

filosofem
Old 09-02-2006, 05:45 PM

drumagog is very nice, you can record an audio track of your voice
and go, tum pak tum pak tum pak,
and then plug drumagog and use the samples you choose instead of your voice
but doing what your voice was doing
nice toy
Old 09-02-2006, 06:28 PM

Hi yOkO

Yep, but why re-trigger a self sampled snare hit and a self loaded snare hit sample?

filosofem
Old 09-02-2006, 06:41 PM

hi
i dunno
mixing techniques?
to add body?
fancy a cookie with your tea?
forget it cookie's container empty,
some cache?