Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Digi 002 Rack Cutting Out - Sample Rate/Clipping?

I've used my Digi 002 Rack as a monitoring device on many occasions - with only RCA cables plugged into the 'Alt Source' Inputs on the back, the 'Alt Source To Monitor' button switched on and the headphones on the front. So basically I'm talking about using it as an additional headphone amp, without even having it plugged into a computer via firewire.

Recently I've been trying to use it in the same manner but with 1/4" cables going out from the Monitor outputs to a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors. But now for some reason, the unit is cutting out and doing some kind of sample rate reset. It plays fine for a minute or two, then all at once there is an audible click from inside the 002 Rack, the Sample Rate LEDs go blank, the Alt Source To Monitor LED turns off and the Mute switch kicks in.

After that, the unit clicks incessantly, seemingly trying to lock to a sample rate again...sometimes it succeeds and then I'm able to turn 'Alt Source To Monitor' on and Mute off again, giving me another few seconds or minutes of audio until the problem starts all over.

At first I thought maybe the audio going into the Alt Source inputs was too loud and the unit was clipping, then muting itself like a power amp does, but it doesn't seem to matter how quiet the input source is.

I tried connecting a firewire cable to it and making sure the Hardware Setup in Pro Tools is setting the machine to Internal digital clock, 44.1 kHz. I also tried leaving Pro Tools running and using the box as a monitor - same problem, and Pro Tools gives me an error saying it lost connection with the Digi 002.

The only thing I can think of now is that perhaps there is some problem with the way I've connected the Mackies to the unit. I'm using balanced 1/4" cables going to the balanced XLR inputs on the back of the Mackies.

Help!! LOL
Old 08-24-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 Rack Cutting Out - Sample Rate/Clipping?

contact digi, most likley the powerharness issue,

im gettin a 002r in a day, its not very fun spending all this money on a product i KNOW will crap out, if it wanst for that powerharness prob the 002 series would be awsome. the fix involes getting a replacement from digi and opening the 002 and replacing it yourself.