Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2024, 04:45 PM

Default Interface not turning off.

When I turn off my PC , my audio interface does not turn off. I've looked for answers on several sites , but can not find an answer for this specific problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Processor: Intel (R) Core (tM)i5-8400t CPU @1.70GHz 170 GHz
Installed ram: 12.0 GB (11.8 GB usable)
System type: 64 bit Operating system x64-Based processor
Old 02-08-2024, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Interface not turning off.

And do you think that maybe telling us exactly what interface you have might be oh ever so slightly relevant here?

"Turn off" the PC how? Shutdown? Sleep/suspend? Switch AC power off at the wall? (with that i5 it's a desktop PC not laptop right?)

If it's a USB bus powered interface then your your PC (or USB hub) is still supplying power. If the interface is directly connected to the PC without a hub then you need to look at your BIOS USB power settings--but you want to avoid the computer possibly sleeping and/or powering off the USB when you don't want it to--the standard optimization stuff you should be doing.

If it's not a USB or similar bus powered interface then there is no reason it should power off when you shutdown or power off the PC.

Maybe just leave this as is, what problem does the interface being on cause?
Old 02-24-2024, 02:06 PM

Indeed, many(most) PC's will have at least one set of USB ports that retain power for charging phones and such. Usually, this can be changed in BIOS(UFEI) or maybe in windows Device Manager(you may need to consult the manual for your motherboard). If your PC is something you bought(you did not build it), then you could probably remove the side panel and look on the motherboard from the brand and model(also not the Rev. number, just in case). Other options for bus-powered interface:
1-have a master power switch that kills power to the setup(I have a rack-mount power strip that is plugged into an APC UPS for battery backup)
2-try another USB port(if convenient) as not all will still deliver power when the PC is powered off(though ports might take a minute to bleed off).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2024, 02:10 PM

Interface usually has a power button you need to push. Some interfaces go to standby after computer shutdown, but it is also strictly speaking turned off.