Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 PM

Default Can you resell an academic version of pro tools 10

Hi guys,
Not sure if this is in the right forum area or not but here it is.
I've not long ago finished uni and I no longer want my academic copy of pro tools 10 that I bought last year. I have a buyer lined up who also qualifies for an academic copy...so how do I go about selling it. Can I just give him my iLok username and password and everything will work when he installs it on his computer? Or do I need to transfer licenses?
If I need to transfer licenses...can someone point me in the right direction of how I transfer ownership onto the same iLok (he doesent have his ow so I would be giving him my iLok)

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Can you resell an academic version of pro tools 10

My recommendation would be, if he himself qualifies for an academic version he should purchase that instead of buying second hand. But like myself and others buying second hand saves us money.

People sell PT/HD licenses on ebay, so I think this would not make much of a difference as to what type of license it is. If you are giving the person the ilok you may as well give then not only your ilok account info but your avid account info as well.

Read this:
http://www.ilok.com/ilok-faq.html

As long as the license is on the ilok, authorization of Pro Tools would be a normal process. I recommend that the buyer pick up an ilok for $50 and register that ilok with their info instead and just pay the $25 transfer fee for the PT license. This would be a safer bet in case they wanted to pick up other software that required an ilok. All of your personal info would remain safe.