Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Default Fostex Digital 8track to mbox

i am having some issues on how to get my fostex 8track digital recorder into protools. which outs should i be using and how to i import it once the cables are hooked up right?
Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Fostex Digital 8track to mbox

Not familiar with that device but assuming it has an anlogue left and right out, plug these in to inputs 1 and 2 on the mbox, record arm, get levels and off you go.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 PM

you'll need to do it like dougfather suggested for each pair of tracks in the fostex. I did it with a br-8 a while back. it takes a while but it can be done.

If you recorded to a click or one of the tracks has some sort of intro before anything else plays, play that for a second at the start of each recording - makes aligning all of the tracks easier once they're all in. sorta like the clap for films.

does your fostex record to some sort of removable media like a smart card? If so, you may be able to just copy the source files to your computer hard drive and then import the individual tracks directly into pro tools. If this is an option, definately take that route.

will
Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 AM

thought i should offer my two cents since i did this years ago when i first bought pro tools and wanted to digitize all my Tascam cassette projects ..
can't tell you about outputs on your Fostex (hell, i don't even remember what's on the Tascam) but for timing reference i simply plugged a microphone into the tape recorder and lit up four tracks (only records four at once) then firmly tapped the microphone a couple of seconds before each tune .. then i copied those mic taps onto the remaining tracks so after i recorded everything into PT i had something simple and solid to look at for lining everything up .. i'm glad to see your original machine is digital - i discovered the hard way that tape machine motors don't always run consistently, especially old ones .. after transferring all my stuff i had to painstakingly edit six tracks of each tune to line up with the basic rhythm tracks .. yuck .. i've actually been hanging onto other taped projects for years waiting for the opportunity to borrow someone's 8-simultaneous-input rig for a day before transferring the rest of that stuff .. good luck!