Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2014, 06:56 AM

Default Audio Stops on New HDX System.

MacPro Nehalem
Quad Core 2.26 Intel Xeon
6GB Memory
Mac 10.8.5
PT 10.3.9, 11.1.3
Drives - Firewire 800 SSD, Internal 1GB(4 Internal drives, 1 system, 3 for Projects)

The audio drops out on larger sessions with lots of Plug-ins and does not come back until the session is closed and reopened. The session keeps playing, but there is no audio seen on any meter of any track. When I run a smaller session(ADR) there are no issues. The audio will stop working while playing if an additional plugin is added. It does not matter the type or mfgr. It will also stop if the plug is added while not playing as well. It seems to happen when we add an additional line on the DSP monitor for System Usage. It also happens while simply playing the session for no apparent reason. I have received two different Error messages when adding DSP and native plugins. "one or more plug-ins could not be made active because a DAE error was encountered. eTISysSwapScriptTimeout". The other message was similar, "The plug-in could not be made active because a DAE error was encountered. Failure to complete TI plug-in runtime library / static initialization. eTISysReeorRPCTimeOutOnDSP." This is a new HDX card installed this weekend. The native card we were using would not run the large session without disk errors. We changed the card to HDX to get use from the DSP in order to run bigger sessions. The HDX is actually worse than the Native card, in a different way. We were able to duplicate the issue with another test session. I made a session with 48 tracks and loaded audio on only two of them. While it was playing, I started to add DSP and Native Plug ins. Once we added to get to the next line on the DSP monitor, the audio would stop working. If we remove the plug and save, close and reopen, it would be fine most of the times. If when the removed plug-in does not remove the additional DSP line, you would have to continue to remove plugs till the line goes away. Then save, close and reopen to hear audio once again. Removing the last plug does not always make it work. Also adding to many Native plugins seems to have the same effect. Once I loaded the session up I received an error"Audio Process could not complete due to conflicts with other CPU tasks or a potential clocking issue. If this occurs often, verify your sync cables or try changing the HW buffer size setting in the playback engine dialog. In most cases a Larger HW buffer size will prevent the problem."I modified the buffer setting to 512. same error. Removed the added plug and now playing. Added the same plug back in on all channels and this time it worked.

I have looked on the DUC and tried everything I could do. I am not fully versed on the new HDX, but have been a user since Sound Tools. Could we have a bad card? Do I need more memory? I have tried to remove prefs, Digi database and volume files. The next time I launched PT10, I got a message saying there was a memory issue loading plugins, Please remove plugins and restart. I moved all AAX plugs into the unused folder. Added back some Digi Plugs like Mixer and will try to open session and make crash. Would not play at all. Both Avid Runtime uninstalls failed. Uninstalled and reinstalled PT 10.3.9 completely including all components. Ran uninstall first, then ran install from DL Pro_Tools_10_3_9_Mac_82069. After Resrtart, I opened a good ADR session file and all was fine. Opened test session and loaded with working plug-ins. Played fine initially and then the same thing happened. Reopened the session and removed all plugs. Space bar did not work to Play, Restarted ProTools. Same thing happened when I loaded 5 Digi Plugs on each track. Received the error eTISysSwapScriptTimeout and audio stopped playing. Removed the last Plug added, saved and reopened the session. All played fine. Reinstall does not help issue. Removing the Plugs did not help either.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Audio Stops on New HDX System.

Did you try repairing permissions on your system Hard drives ?
Did nor see it mentioned on your post
This is the first step to any problems in Mac
I get some random errors also on smaller session and my system is much faster
Old 05-20-2014, 08:03 AM

Thank you Francois.

I had not, but will do that now.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM

No Change after permissions repaired. Also noticed when the Plug-in is removed, the System usage does not update until relaunch.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:15 PM

You can use digitest to check the card.
V10 in the Applications>Avid folder>Pro Tools>Pro Tools utilities
V11 in your user>Documents>ProTools folder

6GB is light for somethings.
V-HD11 64 bit I found 16GB or better to work best.
V10 has a 32bit cap limiting Ram use (Aprox 3.6Gb)

Check your Plug-in versions are up to date.

Moving plug-ins needs to be done with Pro Tools closed.
Remove all AAX plug-ins, Launch Pro Tools 11 and it will re-install all stock V11+ plug-ins.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 AM

Hi DetroitT,

I had ordered more RAM and installed today. Even with 24GB, same issue is happening. Session opened then the audio stopped again. Tried one of the tester sessions and added DSP plug to all 48 tracks and got the same memory error.

I ran DigiTest and I rece'd two fails and two passed. I cannot find the 11.1 DigiTest, it is not in the Docs folder. I used the 10.3.9 which I found can give some false errors.

All plugins were updated and are up to date. I think I am calling Avid Support. I may try putting in my Native card back in, now that I have more RAM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM

I would try reseating the HDX Card first. Making sure all connections are good. If you still have problems, then Call Avid. It's a new card right?
About PT 10.3.9, the out of memory is normal for that version. Just relaunch and PT will continue to recache all your plugins. Keep relaunching until PT finally comes up.
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Ex PT Beta Tester
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:25 AM

Thank you Marvinbass. It is a new card.

I will try to reseat the card and I did put in the native card and am having issues, so it must be software or project related. I am reinstalling system software and will reinstall PT 10.3.9 and 11.1.3. Unfortunately AVID is closed and the online support is not working. I keep getting failures when the support ticket is sent and have been unable to put in an online support ticket.

I was hoping I would get more of a response here, but since I could not find a similar issue, it is not surprising that I have not.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 AM

OK, before you start reinstalling everything, try a new test session and see what happens. You are on Moutain Lion, correct. PT 10 does not run on Mavericks.
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Ex PT Beta Tester
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 AM

Pro Tools 10 does run on Mavericks.