Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2016, 10:18 AM

Default 12.6 Layered Editing?

I'm not seeing any difference in behavior with or without Layered Editing enabled.

With Layered Editing disabled - if I drag clip A over to and partially on top of Clip B, a new edit point is created. If I then drag clip A back to it's original position, both clips return to their original state in terms of duration. I don't see any difference in behavior when Layered Editing is enabled.

My interpertation is without Layered Editing, when you drag one clip over another, the lower clip is "cut" and the handles are removed creating a shortened clip. Conversely, Layered Editing retains the handles of the lower clip.

Am I misinterperting the process in general?

Thanks.

-paul.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Default Re: 12.6 Layered Editing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfigg View Post
I'm not seeing any difference in behavior with or without Layered Editing enabled.

With Layered Editing disabled - if I drag clip A over to and partially on top of Clip B, a new edit point is created. If I then drag clip A back to it's original position, both clips return to their original state in terms of duration. I don't see any difference in behavior when Layered Editing is enabled.

My interpertation is without Layered Editing, when you drag one clip over another, the lower clip is "cut" and the handles are removed creating a shortened clip. Conversely, Layered Editing retains the handles of the lower clip.

Am I misinterperting the process in general?

Thanks.

-paul.
There are a couple added pref settings to also be aware of. Fully covered clips can be sent to a new playlist. This can be set to editing or recording or both.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
There are a couple added pref settings to also be aware of. Fully covered clips can be sent to a new playlist. This can be set to editing or recording or both.
Thanks. I'm aware of the Preferences. So, Layered Editing is only relevant when Playlists exist?

Thank again.

-paul.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I'm aware of the Preferences. So, Layered Editing is only relevant when Playlists exist?

Thank again.

-paul.
No, I was just pointing that out in case you were not aware. I would say to check the docs for this as it would probably explain it best.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Layered editing in 11 seconds : https://vid.me/OGBi

Not sure if I really need it to be honest, having not had it for the last 16 years....
Old 10-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Layered editing in 11 seconds : https://vid.me/OGBi

Not sure if I really need it to be honest, having not had it for the last 16 years....
Yup - I see it now, and it's exactly what I expected in terms of behavior. For some reason it wasn't working in this old test Session that I was using. I created a new Session with new clips, and it works as expected ... so thanks.

-paul.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Yup - I see it now, and it's exactly what I expected in terms of behavior. For some reason it wasn't working in this old test Session that I was using. I created a new Session with new clips, and it works as expected ... so thanks.

-paul.
I have the exact issue you originally described where turning layers on or off doesn't make a difference. This is especially when the grabber tool is in Time mode. For me, it always acts as if it is in layered mode which is what I prefer anyway.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio