Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2022, 12:47 PM

Default MTRX Studio+DVS playback engine

Current Setup: Mac Pro with HDX card, MTRX Studio, Dante Virtual Soundcard, Pro Tools Ultimate

I normally just run my Mac Pro with HDX card via Digilink, and have Dante/DVS hooked up between MTRX Studio and Mac Pro. However I was curious about a possible scenario and how to get by in a pinch: if the HDX card is unrecognized or otherwise incapacitated.

I know it's possible to use DVS as the Playback Engine, but how do I properly incorporate the I/O of the MTRX Studio in this case?

For example, if I currently have a mic preamp that is patched analog in to a channel on the MTRX Studio (which normally is routed into PT via HDX/Digilink), can I route it via Dante into 1 of the 8 available inputs in Pro Tools, when PT is using DVS as the playback engine? When I go to I/O setup I see 8 inputs/8 outputs, but not sure how to patch into those inputs.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2022, 05:06 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio+DVS playback engine

It would just be a case of routing everything through Dante rather than digilink I/O. It can be a bit of a mind bender, as there are three separately places you need to route audio:

- DADman routing matrix only routes audio between the inputs and outputs of your MTRX Studio, relative to the MTRX Studio itself. The Dante Outputs go to Dante Controller.
- Dante Controller routes audio between the various Dante ports present on the network, like your MTRX Studio and DVS.
- Pro Tools I/O menu routes audio internally in Pro Tools.

To setup your inputs,
- In DADman route your analogue inputs to the appropriate Dante outputs.
- In Dante Controller, route the appropriate MTRX Studio transmitter channels to the appropriate DVS receiver channels.
- In Pro tools, select the appropriate inputs in the I/O menu.

To set your outputs,
- Configure them in your Pro Tools I/O menu output tab.
- In Dante Controller, router the appropriate DVS transmitter channels to the appropriate MTRX Studio receiver channels.
- In DADman, create a new source in your monitor profile and select the appropriate Dante input channels. Then it is just a case of hitting the appropriate monitor source button in the monitor section.

Sticking to 1 to 1 routing throughout will make it much clearer (Analogue in #1 to Dante out #1, #2 to #2, etc, etc).
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.