Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2009, 10:31 AM

Default magic mouse

Anybody been using magic mouse with PT?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Default Re: magic mouse

Yah, it takes a little getting used to. The scrolling seems to be even faster than the Mighty Mouse, which is not a good thing with P Tools 8.0.1. All in all though, I like it.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Just got it last night and hooked it up this morning. Definitely takes some getting used to but the screen zooming and right click support is working really well. I've found the scrolling to be the one thing that is a bit strange but I'm sure it'll become old hat in no time.

Beats the heck out of having to replace the mighty mouse every six months when the trackball dies.
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 AM

Actually, you don't have to replace the Mighty Mouse when the trackball dies. All you have to do is put some isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel or cloth, turn the Mighty Mouse upside down and run the trackball over the alcohol. It will clean out the mechanism and the trackball will work again.

That said, I do like the fact that there is no trackball on the Magic Mouse.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM

I think I'm one of the few who actually likes the Might Mouse...

That being said, the Magic Mouse does look rather interesting. I like the idea of a gesture based mouse. I only wish more wireless mice were rechargeable, though. Say like a usb docking port or even an input so it can be used while being charged, and you won't have to replace batteries. I despise disposable batteries (I know there are rechargeable alkaline, but I've never been impressed by their performance), and the idea of my mouse or keyboard cutting out because I need to replace the batteries is not something I've ever considered to be worth the use of a wireless input device. I've actually never owned a wireless mouse or keyboard... even my mighty mouse is the wired version. I also really don't like oversized super crazy "gaming" mice with a dozen buttons and a bulky feel. At the same time, these days it is nice to have a mouse that can do a bit more than just point a cursor. So a gesture mouse with no buttons at all could be the answer to what I'm looking for.

Perhaps I will follow this thread as it fills in and I might give a wireless mouse a chance if the general consensus seems positive.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM

I have gone through 7 or 8 Mighty mouse THIS year.

I've cleaned with Alcohol which brings em back 3 or 4 times, then theres always the "Past the point of no return" - trying Sticky tape strips, air guns Syringes - I've taken a few apart, as carefully as I could with the help of youtube, destroying them anyway.

Without exaggeration, these mice are getting used 12 - 14 hours EVERYDAY - easily navigating almost 100 hours a week of usage, by me, or another engineer - but I'd still expect them to hold up, like everything else Apple.

I have a crate in the shop, with 6 Bluetooth MightyMouse, and 2 or 3 wired ones - I finally caved, after 10 years of peer pressure, and got a Kensington Track Ball Pro with Scroll ring. It's a "Love / Hate" thing - mostly hate... but I'm efficient with it. and EVERYBODY in this town uses one.

Think I'll try the Magic Mouse - Looks interesting

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM

I thought Apple were supposed to be environmentally friendly. So we're all going to have to start using batteries for our mice in future? Seems like a ridiculous thing to do. I have no need of batteries or heavy mice. I LIKE my mouse connected with A WIRE. Call me a Luddite.....
Old 11-02-2009, 02:54 PM

I like the Mighty Mouse. It's more responsive than the Magic Mouse. It's wired and it's mechanical, which makes it respond quickly to your touch. The Magic Mouse has to do some additional work, then send the signal via BlueTooth, and I'm not crazy about the delay.

HOWEVER, it's pretty slick, and light, so for laptops it's great. With the studio desktop, where I don't NEED wireless, I'm not hurrying to migrate to the Magic.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM

My CPU is behind a wall in the next room and I can't maintain a bluetooth connection when I'm in front of my screen so no new mouse for me.

Hi Kingfish......I have the same problem as most with MM and have gone through 3 in the last 18 months.
I was about to replace my latest one because it no longer responded to cleaning..........and I mean VIGOROUS cleaning........but I read somewhere that if you turn them upside down and press the ball in REALLY hard (to the point where it felt like I would crush it) and keep scrolling around for a while there is a good chance it will work again.
And it did.
That mouse was really toast, not responding at all. Now it's like new.

Worth a try!

(this is definitely a last resort thing and there is obviously a risk that you will break something)
Old 11-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Actually, you don't have to replace the Mighty Mouse when the trackball dies. All you have to do is put some isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel or cloth, turn the Mighty Mouse upside down and run the trackball over the alcohol. It will clean out the mechanism and the trackball will work again.
I pour Gordon's gin on mine, and that usually fixes it. That little trackball is pretty annoying and I'm not a huge fan of the mouse overall, but I still haven't found anything I like much better.

I was hoping the Magic Mouse would be awesome, but these early reports of even faster scrolling have me concerned...