Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2002, 07:58 AM

Default Anyone Used Imation Floppy For PACE Authorizations?

Just going from my 9600 - G4 and wonder it the Imation Floppy with get it done. Not talking about the Imation Superdrive but the currently available Floppy Drive.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2002, 08:08 AM
Avid

Default Re: Anyone Used Imation Floppy For PACE Authorizations?

Hi
As for Imation you would need to use the Superdisk only.
So your options are
VST Floppy Drive (model FDUSB-M)
Imation SuperDisk
NewerTechnology uDrive
Note:
Information on VST brand products from SmartDisk has been moved to www.smartdisk.com
Old 02-17-2002, 02:54 PM

Huh?

I have an Imation USB floppy drive; it ran all the authorizations just fine.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:36 AM

I have and recommend the Imation USB Superdisk/Floppy.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:38 AM

"AE": So you have just the Imation Floppy and and not the Imation/Superdrive and it works? We are just getting ready to get a new G4 and have an Imation Floppy (NOT Superdrive) and were hoping this would work. No problems?
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 02-20-2002, 08:52 AM

It depends on the internal machanism iMation was using at the time. I have seen the regular imation floppy work on occasion (not often), but its not reliable.

Also, I've seen some of these "nonsupported" drives (like Teac, etc) be able to install authorizations, but NOT be able to remove them.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:21 AM

Doh! I've just bought a TEAC floppy before realising that there might be any compatibility problems. I can't find the info saying that the Teac drive won't work. Does this mean my Teac USB floppy can't be used to authorise/de-authorise my plug-ins? What will happen if I try and use it?

Regards,

Mike
Old 02-20-2002, 10:05 AM

Well, so far I've used the Imation floppy drive for just one round of authorizations (when I upgraded to an 867 MHz G4 last September). That's certainly not sufficient experience to generalize from. I'll post again if I run into any problems.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:03 PM

I did the exact same thing: Moved from a 9600 Mac to a G4/733. I used the Imation USB floppy drive (not the super) and it worked fine. Also used it to install stuff on my Powerbook G4/500. Worked fine there as well. My assistant used it on his G4/500 tower and it worked fine there too. I moved stuff like McDsp, Virus, Koblo, Digi, TC etc. BUT...

ONE IMPORTANT THING: You must go to the PACE site and download the USB FLOPPY ENABLER file. This makes your drive work first time every time. My floppy was cranky before we downloaded and installed this file. It creates an extension by the same name. Once I was done with installs, I disabled this extension just for grins. I think the PACE site is www.paceap.com. If not do a google search on PACE Anti-Piracy.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 02-20-2002, 04:51 PM

The Teac drive Might work for you. I'm just telling you what I've seen. Usually with some tweaking I could get it to authorize, but there were times I could not get it to de-authorize.

If you just bought the Teac, then you can probably swap it for the VST fdusb-m model... $50

And Digi can't list every device that WON'T work. Do you know how long that list would be?

Again, my point is, that these "unsupported" drives might and do work sometimes.. its just kind of a crap shoot.