Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:58 PM

Default macbook pro and noise in the studio

Hi there,

I'm currently a Windows PT user but am planning on going mobile by buying a 003 and a macbook pro.

I'm just wondering what people's experience of the noise their macbook pros make is and whether they get issues of fan noise bleeding into their recordings (I record and mix in one mid sized bedroom) or fan noise affecting their mixing.

The PC I have currently is very quiet (I spent time and money getting it nice and quiet) and I don't want to make a backward step in that regard.

Are you able to throttle the fan with software so when doing those important takes who know it won't suddenly decide to whir into life and ruin a good take?

Macbook pro users' thoughts would be much appreciated, cheers.

Simon
Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: macbook pro and noise in the studio

Anyone have any comments? Cheers.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 AM

Hi! I won't track quiet stuff in the same room as my Macbook Pro because of the fan. No, I haven't figured out how to "throttle" it (not sure that it's possible, and probably not recommended). I did track drums recently with the 'puter in the room, but since drums are so loud it wasn't an issue (I was more concerned about click bleed and cupboards rattling). When tracking, I had a buffer of 64 samples, a few plugs open, while recording 10 tracks. The fan did NOT kick in (the CPU meter was quite low). For adding overdubs to a dense session with lots of plugs, though, the fan will kick in, so the amp or vocalist are always in an adjacent room.

I have overdubbed acoustic guitars, shakers and tambourines in the same room; I'm just careful to put my body in between the mic and the computer, and place the mic so that it's null faces the noise.

If I were to track an ensemble with it in the same room, it would probably be fine to just put a gobo between the laptop and the performers/amps.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Thanks Naagzh, that's good advice.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
.... I'm just careful to put my body in between the mic and the computer, ....
Could you talk a bit more about that? Do you mean, backing the computer while you sing, or shake the tambourine?
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 PM

i set my macbookpro on a pair of aurolux moniter pads, put them far left and far right sides, not in the middle. my fan never comes on, works great and puts laptop at a better angle.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
.... I'm just careful to put my body in between the mic and the computer, ....
Could you talk a bit more about that? Do you mean, backing the computer while you sing, or shake the tambourine?
Sorry, that was confusing now upon second reading. When I'm tracking someone ELSE, they're behind me, facing the computer, mic pointed at the guitar/shaker/whatnot. My body will block alot of sound from the computer.

If I'm recording myself, instead of turning around 180 degrees to play an instrument (or sing), I'll just back up a few feet, still facing the computer, but place the mic pointing at me (and the shaker, for example). Most mics will have a cardiod pickup pattern, so they reject sounds coming from behind it. In this way, the computer is behind the mic, in the mic's null.

Most vocalists like to be left alone in another room anyway while tracking.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 AM

HI,

1. NEVER record in the same room with the computer
2. a combination of Fan Control app and www.coolbook.se does little miracles to keep my MacBook silent.

best