How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2023, 05:12 PM

Default Digital Clocking noise

Hi There,

This issue started a few days ago...possibly after installing the Ventura security update 13.3.1a. I'm on a Mac M1 Ultra running PT 2023.3. Audio interface is a simple IK multimedia AXE I/O.

This system has been pretty rock solid for awhile and I've been working mostly in rosetta because of missing AAX plugins, but the issue is the same in Silicon.

A session will usually open and play fine until about 10 or 15 minutes then this digital noise will slowly start ramping up until it overwhelms the session and then you must quit PT.

I'm usually a pretty good troubleshooter and a previous PT beta tester for 20 years, but I'm stumped and loath to do a clean install. ( I'm not in my main studio with backups).

I noticed a thread below where users are having a similar problem that seemed to be related to different outputs, but I'm just using out 1-2. No fancy stuff.

I did trash prefs and that did not help. I have not tried a new user account.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 05-05-2023, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Digital Clocking noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Divide Studios View Post
Hi There,

This issue started a few days ago...possibly after installing the Ventura security update 13.3.1a. I'm on a Mac M1 Ultra running PT 2023.3. Audio interface is a simple IK multimedia AXE I/O.

This system has been pretty rock solid for awhile and I've been working mostly in rosetta because of missing AAX plugins, but the issue is the same in Silicon.

A session will usually open and play fine until about 10 or 15 minutes then this digital noise will slowly start ramping up until it overwhelms the session and then you must quit PT.

I'm usually a pretty good troubleshooter and a previous PT beta tester for 20 years, but I'm stumped and loath to do a clean install. ( I'm not in my main studio with backups).

I noticed a thread below where users are having a similar problem that seemed to be related to different outputs, but I'm just using out 1-2. No fancy stuff.

I did trash prefs and that did not help. I have not tried a new user account.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jamie
Are you sure you don't have a plugin in demo mode?
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:30 PM

No demo's here. It may be 1 session in particular that is causing it, but when it starts up any other session I open will make the same noise. Must quit PT.

I've tried importing all the same tracks into a blank session. Same noise creeps up. Switched buffer sizes. Turned off ignore errors dialog.

There are UAD DSP plugins in this session, but it's been fine for the 2 months I've had UAD.

This is a bummer as the mix is 90% done.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
Are you sure you don't have a plugin in demo mode?
Old 05-05-2023, 04:40 PM

Be really careful about the plugin demos, sometimes there are weird licensing problems where plugins will fail back to a demo mode, even if you never demoed them yourself. Are there plugins on hidden tracks, master faders? etc. that might not be noticed?

--

It's hard to guess what this might be without some better idea of the sound. Can you put a recording somewhere.

Since you are running UAD look at the UAD Console and make sure you are not got a feedback path there, maybe through plugins in the console. Easiest quick test there is just to play this back with the Mac's audio output as the playback engine. Worth doing for other reasons as well.

Probably beyond time to just run more/most of the standard troubleshooting steps.

I really doubt this is caused by a Ventura security update.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:14 PM

Hi Darryl,

That's for the advice. There are no demos and no UAD console. I did switch to the Mac outputs and the noise occurred there as well. When I switched back to my interface I had a good few hours before the noise creeped up again and now I get it after 5-15 minutes.

I also created a blank session and imported just the main playlist of active tracks...same issue.

This is definitely session specific, so there is some corruption or weird plain thing. Can't figure it out for the life of me.

I'll try a new user account now and see if that helps.

Here's a link to the audio file with the noise:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tr9gnjaqm...noise.mp3?dl=0.

Thanks,

Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Be really careful about the plugin demos, sometimes there are weird licensing problems where plugins will fail back to a demo mode, even if you never demoed them yourself. Are there plugins on hidden tracks, master faders? etc. that might not be noticed?

--

It's hard to guess what this might be without some better idea of the sound. Can you put a recording somewhere.

Since you are running UAD look at the UAD Console and make sure you are not got a feedback path there, maybe through plugins in the console. Easiest quick test there is just to play this back with the Mac's audio output as the playback engine. Worth doing for other reasons as well.

Probably beyond time to just run more/most of the standard troubleshooting steps.

I really doubt this is caused by a Ventura security update.