Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2023, 10:07 AM

Default MIDI Real-Time Properties - preview transposed notes in MIDI editor?

When transposing with MIDI Real-Time Properties, whenever I click a note in the piano roll I still hear the note in the original key.

Is there a setting where clicking and dragging a note around in the MIDI editor window will play the transposed note as chosen in MIDI Real-Time Properties menu instead of the original note?

Apologies if I'm overlooking something obvious.

Thank you!
Old 04-11-2023, 01:52 PM

Default Re: MIDI Real-Time Properties - preview transposed notes in MIDI editor?

I am so glad you posted this. This is one thing on my wish list I wish Avid would fix. It makes no sense that it plays the note without the realtime transposition.

The workaround I use for now is found in"Set-up - Preferences -MIDI -" Under Basics "Display Events as Modified by Real-Time Properties".

This will now show the note in the transposed state so that when you click on it, it will sound correctly. But I don't love this workaround because I now have to adjust to viewing it in the new key. If I have played it in the other key, then I'm not as familiar with the notes viewed in the new key.

At least there are two of us that would like to see this changed.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-12-2023, 04:44 PM

Default Re: MIDI Real-Time Properties - preview transposed notes in MIDI editor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I am so glad you posted this. This is one thing on my wish list I wish Avid would fix. It makes no sense that it plays the note without the realtime transposition.

The workaround I use for now is found in"Set-up - Preferences -MIDI -" Under Basics "Display Events as Modified by Real-Time Properties".

This will now show the note in the transposed state so that when you click on it, it will sound correctly. But I don't love this workaround because I now have to adjust to viewing it in the new key. If I have played it in the other key, then I'm not as familiar with the notes viewed in the new key.

At least there are two of us that would like to see this changed.
THANK YOU! I really appreciate you mentioning this workaround! It is very helpful, but I completely agree with you that it would be so much better if the notes sounded in the transposed key while remaining in the original position. It would be so great if this option was added in the future.