Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2021, 09:26 AM

Default Virtual instruments open with random settings

Has anyone experienced an issue where you re-open a session and your virtual instruments have completely random settings or are even using completely different patches altogether?

Any thoughts on what could be causing something like this?

I unplugged all MIDI controllers / keyboards thinking this could be the issue, but no luck.

I tried trashing all preferences as well.

Last edited by jsbach; 12-18-2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Virtual instruments open with random settings

I have seen some VI’s like VPS Avenger where if I just make changes to a preset, but I don’t save the preset within Avenger, Pro Tools will just recall the original preset without the changes I made. I suppose Pro Tools doesn’t always save all the internal VI settings. I’ve also seen where the incorrect instrument assignment will be changed randomly on a VI track when I open the project.
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:27 PM

I've had this happen with certain fx plugins, but not with VI's. Some of the Nomad Factory plugins sometimes revert to default when I reopen a saved session. But I don't recall having this issue with any VI's.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
I have seen some VI’s like VPS Avenger where if I just make changes to a preset, but I don’t save the preset within Avenger, Pro Tools will just recall the original preset without the changes I made.
Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. Did you ever find a solution?

It happens with many Arturia plugins. I was wondering if there is anything I can check on my end or if it's an issue on the developer end.

I though maybe it could be some type of permissions issue?
Old 12-21-2021, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach View Post

It happens with many Arturia plugins. I was wondering if there is anything I can check on my end or if it's an issue on the developer end.

Are you talking about Arturia's vi's or their fx? Daily user of their vi's and have never seen this. I rarely use their fx.

QAPLA!
Old 12-21-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Are you talking about Arturia's vi's or their fx? Daily user of their vi's and have never seen this. I rarely use their fx.
All of their VIs. I've seen several mentions of this issue with Pro Tools and Arturia going back years, but no solutions. Every time there is an update in Arturia Software Center, I hope for fix but not yet. That makes me thing there is something strange going on maybe permissions-wise specifically with certain setups.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
All of their VIs. I've seen several mentions of this issue with Pro Tools and Arturia going back years, but no solutions. Every time there is an update in Arturia Software Center, I hope for fix but not yet. That makes me thing there is something strange going on maybe permissions-wise specifically with certain setups.
Might be certain setups as I've never seen it across multiple versions of OSX going back to OSX 10.8.5 through OSX 10.13.6 except I never used El Crapitan. And every Arturia synth going to back to before there were VCollections. Are you running as admin? That's all I've ever run as. And are you allowing the installers to put things where it wants?

QAPLA!
Old 12-21-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:

My solution is to save my changes to a new preset in the VI. Kind of a pain, but after you create and save as a new preset then you can just hit save when you make changes to the patch. Also beats trying to re-create your changes when re-opening the project!
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Might be certain setups as I've never seen it across multiple versions of OSX going back to OSX 10.8.5 through OSX 10.13.6 except I never used El Crapitan. And every Arturia synth going to back to before there were VCollections. Are you running as admin? That's all I've ever run as. And are you allowing the installers to put things where it wants?
Yes, I'm definitely running as an admin. I always install directly from Arturia Software Center. I never move or change anything that it's doing by default. I've also tried 'Clean Prefs' in ASC. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times. It's just a complete mystery to me.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
My solution is to save my changes to a new preset in the VI. Kind of a pain, but after you create and save as a new preset then you can just hit save when you make changes to the patch. Also beats trying to re-create your changes when re-opening the project!
That's exactly what I'm doing too. I also commit to audio just in case because sometimes the user presets don't even recall correctly.