Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Default no signal after recording on track

Hello everyone,

Pro tools 8LE, Just recorded stereo track. Was able to hear it until I created the master track, then the sound stopped. Track is still there, even meters have signal, nothing coming thru headphones or ref monitors.

I have done the following....

tried to route out bus 1-2 into master track, but I see the master track only has an out.

The mix volume IS turned up on my interface.

Everything is still plugged in...

I have taken away the master track and still have no signal thru headphones or ref monitors

Nothing is soloed, although I did try this. nothing is muted.

Pro tools still sees the interface.

I am wondering if the interface may have taken a dump.

I feel pretty dumb for posting this, especially if it is something simple that I have just overlooked. anything else I have done hasn't done this before.

If anyone has any input it is always appreciated.
Thank you
Patrick
Old 02-12-2015, 09:08 AM

Default Re: no signal after recording on track

See... I do feel dumb... I had the output of the track on Bus 1-2, changed it to out 1-2... magic.... sorry but thanks for reading
Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffwrath View Post
See... I do feel dumb... I had the output of the track on Bus 1-2, changed it to out 1-2... magic.... sorry but thanks for reading
Its all part of the learning process. Just so you know(for the future), the master track exists, even if you don't have it on the screen. I recommend always having the master track showing in your sessions so you will see if you are clipping it(something I learned about the hard way).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-15-2015, 07:28 AM

Well here's another one for you then.... Last night, with 2 tracks, I was trying to create an auxiliary track, which I did. and route the signal thru the aux track. I did out bus 3-4 from orig stereo track, to in bus 3-4 on auxiliary track.... couldn't hear anything, but signal was going to the track.... I finally had to put it down because it became so frustrating. What did I do wrong here ?

Stunned....

Patrick
Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Well here's another one for you then.... Last night, with 2 tracks, I was trying to create an auxiliary track, which I did. and route the signal thru the aux track. I did out bus 3-4 from orig stereo track, to in bus 3-4 on auxiliary track.... couldn't hear anything, but signal was going to the track.... I finally had to put it down because it became so frustrating. What did I do wrong here ?

Stunned....

Patrick
Where is the aux track being routed to?
In the future to make things simpler instead of routing to a bus and then another track just select 'new track' from the output menu for the track you're working with, select type of track (aux, audio, whatever), give it a name, and you'll have your new track without having to sweat the bus assignment.

QAPLA!
Old 02-15-2015, 10:06 AM

Does it need to be ? Because the only other track I have is the master fader track, and it has no input. Just an out

In the future to make things simpler instead of routing to a bus and then another track just select 'new track' from the output menu for the track you're working with, select type of track (aux, audio, whatever), give it a name, and you'll have your new track without having to sweat the bus assignment.

That is what I thought I did.... I am at work now unfortunately and cannot check. Thank you for your response.

Patrick
Old 02-15-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Does it need to be ? Because the only other track I have is the master fader track, and it has no input. Just an out

That is what I thought I did.... I am at work now unfortunately and cannot check. Thank you for your response.

Patrick
The aux track has to be routed somewheres or else you won't hear it. Master fader track doesn't need an input specified. You really need to take a read through the manual that comes with every PT install - it will help with what tracks do and such and what's needed for each. That and a good book or two will help along with the Groove tutorials on PT.

The method I outlined skips routing to a bus and then from the bus to a track; takes care of that in one fell swoop.

QAPLA!