Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2022, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Used iLok, any use?

If his "son" actually has an account at Avid and he just sold the only thing belonging to it, he could transfer the whole account to you. Or, at the very least, show a screenshot of the products in the account.

A subscription account that later became a perpetual rings bells that this isn't that story. And, no, an end buyer of a stolen ilok can't "look up" stolen iLoks. Only the original owner can report. And they often don't if they aren't on ZDT insurance from iLok (which is an additional fee for the owner of the iLok.)

There are ways to sell just an iLok: remove all the licenses from the iLok and put them back to the account and then you can unregister the iLok. It then becomes free of any account. There are ways to sell a license: some through iLoks's transfer option to another user or through Avid's transfer form. And there's ways to sell a whole account: change the username and password and then sell and give that info to the new owner. All these ways are legitimate ways. They require approval by the original owner.

Unknown licenses on unknown account for both iLok and Avid isn't the way.
The seller could still give you the account info for both Avid and iLok. If this is legitimate.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
If his "son" actually has an account at Avid and he just sold the only thing belonging to it, he could transfer the whole account to you. Or, at the very least, show a screenshot of the products in the account.

A subscription account that later became a perpetual rings bells that this isn't that story. And, no, an end buyer of a stolen ilok can't "look up" stolen iLoks. Only the original owner can report. And they often don't if they aren't on ZDT insurance from iLok (which is an additional fee for the owner of the iLok.)

There are ways to sell just an iLok: remove all the licenses from the iLok and put them back to the account and then you can unregister the iLok. It then becomes free of any account. There are ways to sell a license: some through iLoks's transfer option to another user or through Avid's transfer form. And there's ways to sell a whole account: change the username and password and then sell and give that info to the new owner. All these ways are legitimate ways. They require approval by the original owner.

The seller could still give you the account info for both Avid and iLok. If this is legitimate.
I can see both the perpetual and the subscription. The ebay seller has a good rating and everything matches up. There was both a perpetual and subscription start the exact same time, september 1st which would align with buying it at the start of a fall semester.
I have been using both pro tools and ebay for over 20 years. I can usually smell a fraud a mile away. This appears to be just a dad getting rid of stuff left around from his son. Also likely thst the son no longer uses pro tools at all.

The other stuff you say makes sense. As I said, before I had always gotten the type that was pre-loaded with a bundle. And none of them had ever been attached to an account.

I probably should have asked questions first but I put in a low bid just before taking off on a plane and then found out I won it.

Anyway, for the price, I am quite happy. If I thought it was stolen, but I see no evidence of that.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Bscout, the sub didn't become a perpetual. Both were purchased and deposted on the iLok at the same time. I have no idea why.

It looks like some of you are convinced I bought stolen property. I had a lot of the details typed up but some of you have your minds made up already.

The short version is that it was bought by a college freshmen, hasn't been used after his first year and his dad was just selling stuff laying around. The seller has good ratings and everything I have asked has been answered honestly as far as I can tell.
Oh, and you misunderstood. It has BOTH a perpetual and a subscription, both deposted at the same exact time at the start of his freshmen year, as they said, they just seemed to not realize there were two licenses on it.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Or, at the very least, show a screenshot of the products in the account.

I don't understand this part. What unknown licenses? I know exactly what I have. A "Studio perpetual license" good up to 9-1-2018, which works out to the latest release being 2018.7

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UOK...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-10-2022, 06:21 AM

I haven't posted here in quite a while but now have a problem and question and this thread is the only one even close to my issue. For the last week I've been trying to transfer a PT's 12 license to a friend and it's proving to be impossible. Nothing on Avid's site will allow me to complete the transfer process even after (curiously) allowing me to purchase an single incident ASC specifically for license transfer. When I try to activate the ASC and file the completed transfer form it tells me it's "not valid". Can't get Avid on the phone, the application pages for such a transaction have been lamed up to not respond. The submit button simply says "waiting"... forever. Anyway, I bought this version of PT's in 2020 to upgrade my system but quickly was hit with the fact that Apple had changed their OS and, if I changed to that OS, other apps I use frequently no longer operate. So... I decided then to just stick with the version I'm still currently using (11.3) and simply sit on 12 until such time as I make other changes to accommodate it. That never happened. I purchased PTs 12 through Reverb.com via a third party seller who is, of course, now on Avids "illegal sellers" list. Again, another stone wall. Can someone from Avid private email me to help me with this issue? It's really a minor request and should be a quick "no brainer" for Customer Support.... if they still exist. HELP! thanks for your time and patience.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete T View Post
I haven't posted here in quite a while but now have a problem and question and this thread is the only one even close to my issue. For the last week I've been trying to transfer a PT's 12 license to a friend and it's proving to be impossible. Nothing on Avid's site will allow me to complete the transfer process even after (curiously) allowing me to purchase an single incident ASC specifically for license transfer. When I try to activate the ASC and file the completed transfer form it tells me it's "not valid". Can't get Avid on the phone, the application pages for such a transaction have been lamed up to not respond. The submit button simply says "waiting"... forever. Anyway, I bought this version of PT's in 2020 to upgrade my system but quickly was hit with the fact that Apple had changed their OS and, if I changed to that OS, other apps I use frequently no longer operate. So... I decided then to just stick with the version I'm still currently using (11.3) and simply sit on 12 until such time as I make other changes to accommodate it. That never happened. I purchased PTs 12 through Reverb.com via a third party seller who is, of course, now on Avids "illegal sellers" list. Again, another stone wall. Can someone from Avid private email me to help me with this issue? It's really a minor request and should be a quick "no brainer" for Customer Support.... if they still exist. HELP! thanks for your time and patience.
Hmm, first thing, you should have started a new thread for your specific issue. "thread jumping" on this one just muddies the waters. Having said that, open your ilok manager software with your iLok connected and look at the license you are trying to transfer to your friend. Assuming the iLok is registered to you(so assets on it are not in light grey) make sure it is not expired and not listed as NFR(Not For Resale). Assuming all looks good, and assuming your friend has an iLok account(and you have the name of his account, NOT his email), you initiate a Transfer from there.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2022, 09:22 AM

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the reply. All I can find on iLok app that seems close to NFR is "Allow Transfer; no" in the description. I also de-activated the license last week according to their instructions in anticipation of Avid allowing the transfer. Just not sure how to proceed as all avenues to a transfer seem blocked.
thanks, Pete T.