Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2015, 03:08 PM

Default PTHD 10 can't see interfaces in playback engine

Hello,

Im running Pro Tools HD 10.3.5 on Mac OSX 10.6.8

Have 4 Apogee AD/DA16's. I can't get Pro Tools to recognize the interfaces. If I run the Avid CoreAudio Manager in Standalone it will play audio through the interfaces. It shows up in the CoreAudio apps HW Setup Dialogue box, but when I open Pro Tools I get nothing.

I've tried trashing the preferences, resetting the interfaces and computer 5 or 6 times. No Luck.

Is there anything I can try short of updating to 10.3.10 or doing a clean uninstall/ re-install of Pro Tools????

Clients are waiting and I've never had this issue before
Old 09-14-2015, 03:17 PM

Default PTHD 10 can't see interfaces in playback engine

Never mind it appears that it is qualified for snow leopard

So when you press the N key at the splash screen and try to change your playback engine what happens?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Default Re: PTHD 10 can't see interfaces in playback engine

Just tried holding N while opening, the HD interface option is still missing.

I'm seeing the interfaces in the sound preferences pane of osx system prefs, AND in the Core Audio Manage, but Pro Tools still can't find them

I'm downloading the latest update of PT 10 (10.3.10) and trying a clean install.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva801 View Post
Hello,

Im running Pro Tools HD 10.3.5 on Mac OSX 10.6.8

Have 4 Apogee AD/DA16's. I can't get Pro Tools to recognize the interfaces. If I run the Avid CoreAudio Manager in Standalone it will play audio through the interfaces. It shows up in the CoreAudio apps HW Setup Dialogue box, but when I open Pro Tools I get nothing.
Ah yep 10.6.8 is pretty much museum ware.

But what are you trying to do here?

You have four Apogee what? Exactly? Connected to what? How?

Apogee Digital AD-16 and/or DA-16? Those are outboard ADC and DACs to/from PCM or ADAT boxes, they are not interfaces, so what are you connecting them to? Avid HD IO? What exactly? Does digitest run OK?

Apogee Digital AD-16X and/or DA-16X with Firewire option card?.. Ah OK you hoping to aggregate those? Not a good idea.

You are running CoreAudio? So you are not using HD boxes? So what non-HD interface are they connected to?

I'm not sure why you are using CoreAudio manager. Are you are using a HD interface and connecting these outboard converters to that and using Pro Tools HD then CoreAudio has nothing to do with this. If you are connecting these outboard AD/DA converters to Pro Tools 10 via another interface then you should likely be using Audio/Midi Setup not CoreAudio Manager--what shows up there? Again, some clear explanation of what you are trying to do here would help, because so far it does not make sense.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Just tried holding N while opening, the HD interface option is still missing.

I'm seeing the interfaces in the sound preferences pane of osx system prefs, AND in the Core Audio Manage, but Pro Tools still can't find them

I'm downloading the latest update of PT 10 (10.3.10) and trying a clean install.
Clean installs may be a waste of time.

Have you ever had this system working? With these AD and DA boxes?

What exact HD interfaces do you have connected? To what HD card? HDN, TDM, HDX? Does that and all your Pro Tools HD interfaces past Digitest?

Post screen screen shots of what is showing up in Audio/MIDI Manger audio window.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'm not sure why you are using CoreAudio manager..

I think he used it only to troubleshoot his issues. It is what it sounded like to me
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I think he used it only to troubleshoot his issues. It is what it sounded like to me
Yes, but nobody has much of an idea what is actually being tried here, with what hardware, let alone why it is not working. So until we can start there it is unlikely anybody here will be able to make any useful suggestions.

Besides the obvious concern about an older OS X system.... But again we don't know what hardware is involved, and it matters... Pro Tools 10 standard and HD/TDM systems are supported back to OS X 10.6.7. Pro Tools HD Native and HDX are not (and I have a nagging feeling that is a real problem, not a paperwork one, maybe other folks can recall).
Old 09-14-2015, 04:09 PM

I have an 8-core mac pro running 10.6.8
(2) apogee AD-16's
(2) apogee DA-16's

The apogees are daisy chained using their expansion ports. the X-HD cards are installed in all of the apogees

Running PTHD 10.3.5. Have 3 HDTDM accel cards. There is one digilink cable running from the hd cards to the main input of the first apogee.

This setup has not changed in over 6 years. PT typically sees the apogees as 2 192i/o's

I only use the core audio app when spotify is playing. When it is open it sees the apogees as 2 192 io's, and plays audio out of the converters just fine. When I open Pro Tools, I can't select the HD TDM playback engine
Old 09-14-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I have an 8-core mac pro running 10.6.8
(2) apogee AD-16's
(2) apogee DA-16's

The apogees are daisy chained using their expansion ports.

Running PTHD 10.3.5. Have 3 HD accel cards. There is one digilink cable running from the hd cards to the main input of the first apogee.

This setup has not changed in over 6 years. PT typically sees the apogees as 2 192i/o's
Not AD-16 and DA-16, think you'll find you have AD-16X and DA-16X with the HD card options installed.

Then first thing to check is does the setup past Digitest? Depending on the result you may want to pull cards/interfaces or cables and see if you can get parts of that setup to past Digitest.

Think very carefully if you or somebody else has actually changed anything recently.

If the setup pasts Digitest and still does not show up, including after carefully power cycling everythin (try let the Mac boot up before powering on the Apogee boxes), then yes uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools is an option.

And OS X 10.6.8 should be OK with latest HD 10 with a HD/TDM card.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:26 PM

Yes they are AD/DA16x's with the firewire cards